Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 10:43:49 AM EDT
Ok, since I can't find anyone that makes the exact upper I want (well, for a reasonable price anyway). I am investigating the possibility of building one exactly the way I want it.

OK, now my question is, how hard is it to build an upper? What tools and such do I need? I know this has been asked before, but I never look at the threads and my search revealed nothing.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It may depend on the exact configuration of the upper... but in general, you will need a barrel wrench and either a way to hold the upper or the barrel in a vise.  Also, you should have a torque wrench to go with the barrel wrench.

Those are the only specialized tools.

To get the proper instuction, look at the army/air force manuals that are located on the front page of ar15.com.  Click [url=http://www.ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf]here[/url] for a direct link to the PDF.

I will be assembling my first upper in the near future and it doensn't seem too difficult.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you looking for?  I have assembled a couple uppers and have decided that it is more trouble than it is worth so I have my friend do it for marginal cost.  He is a cerrtified gunsmith and has more patience than I.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It isn't too bad.

I really don't mind doing it now.

The hardest part, of course is installing the barrel. It seems like every barrel upper combination is different. Some go on perfectly and are very easy, others can be a real pain.  If you get the latter on your first build it can be very frustrating (I know).

Just remember to take it easy. Don't forget the moly grease, and don't reef on it. It's best to tighten and loosen, tighten a little more and loosen until it's just right.

Here are some tips I copied from a thread awhile ago I can remember who I got it from or I would give them the proper credit. It's pretty good info anyway.

Installing a barrel is really pretty simple. Solving some of the problems you can run into isn't. Probably the most common problem is excessive windage present after the installation. The rear sight will be cranked all the way to one side. This is one time the manual doesn't help much, most military armorer learn this trick early. Here's how to fix it. Clamp the barrel in a vise, using barrel blocks. Line up the front sight carefully on a vertical line, just like the book says. First tighten up the barrel nut - hand tight, not torque to prevent damage to receiver. Now, look at your receiver. Chances are it's leaning off to one side -when compared to the front sight. Using a non-marring hammer, hit the side of the carrying handle, as near to the front as you can. This will rotate the receiver slightly to one side or the other. Here's the trick, hit on the side that the rear aperture is furthest away from. In other words, try to move the receiver towards the rear sight. Be careful, you don't have to kill it, just a firm tap will usually do the trick. If the barrel is straight, aligning the receiver forging with the front sight forging will usually put the windage adjustment right in the middle, and it takes about a minute to do it. Simple! One other trick we should mention is for when you are torquing on a barrel nut and everything locks up. A squeaking noise, then it's like it's welded right there. The surest way to break something is to keep trying to loosen it. This trick is so simple, we couldn't believe it. Put the whole assembly in the freezer, and leave it overnight. This gets some differential expansion working for you. Pull it out the next day, and it will almost always come loose. We recommend using an action block, like the one we sell, and clamping on the receiver to prevent breaking the index pin when doing this. A really good wrench, like the heavy duty one we sell, will prevent ruining the barrel nut.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top