Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 12:34:02 PM EDT
i'm thinking about putting a heavy barrel flat top upper (varmint) on my AR and i think i have found a few options, but i need some help. on page 109 of the newest shotgun news j&t distributing has a flat top upper for $364, on page 111 model "1" sales, inc has a flat top upper for $345, and m&a parts inc on page 115 has a flat top for $345. does any one know if they're worth the money and how well they can shoot (group sizes and reliability)? any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Adco has RRA uppers in the $3XX range. Might want to look at them too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
As between all the brands noted above, I'd have to go with the Rock River.  RR has moved into the top tier of AR makers, and can be equated with Bushmaster, Colt or any of the other top 3 or 4 makers.

The other guys you mentioned are basically all also rans, and we've had any number of posts on the site over the past few years bitching about the quality and /or service on stuff that people have bought from them.

'Nuff said?[:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My m&a parts kit (16'in)has put together some very good groups. Overall, i have been very happy with my kit. The finish also matches my RRA lower almost perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a RRA 24" Varmint upper and it really shoots.  I can get .5" groups at 100 yards no problem. However my roommate just got a bull barrel upper from J&T distributing and it shoots very well too.  I think both are a good product for the money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
i'm thinking about going with the j&t with a 24" barrel. weight is not a concern. it will be going on a match service rifle that already weighs, oh, about 12lbs. does anyone know if the j&t uppers come with a bolt, or do i have to use the one i already have and have it headspaced?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
does anyone know if the j&t uppers come with a bolt, or do i have to use the one i already have and have it headspaced?
View Quote

You can order an upper from J&T Distributing with or without a bolt.  Add $100 to the price for a complete bolt carrier option with standard carrier assembly.  Prices then go up for chrome or TiN assemblies.

Good luck with your build.  I recently finished my first build, a CAR kit from J&T, and it turned out great!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on those prices, I am guessing they come with the bolt/carrier.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any experience with Sherluk uppers??

They are out of NW Ohio.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]

I have been very happy with everything I've bought from J&T. I would rank them equal to RRA overall (and even higher in finish quality). Never bought from M&A but have met the owner and he seems like a quality minded guy. I hear complaints about Model 1, but no personal experience.

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I would second the ADCO recommendation for RRA uppers.  I bought one from Steve.  His flat rate $4.00 S/H is very fast and is the best deal out there.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top