Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 7:03:44 PM EDT
HI guys this is my very first post :) anyway I had a thought pop in to my mind. was woundering what you guys though. there goes, When the crime Bill comes up lets say it is not resigned. supose I was to put a Pre-ban upper on a Post-ban lower this would then be legal sence the bill is null. My question is what would happen if say in a year the bill was activated again would my Gun be in a way grandfathered in in a since or would I be getten my self in more trouble than it is worth. well thats my idea fell free to flam me as I injoy reading all your post      
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I reread your post and realized my old one was totally off base. Anyway, yes you would be fine so long as you built the rifle LEGALLY and had proof that the weapon was assembled during the window of legality. This maybe tricky, so pay attention to the laws and policies of the BATF

good luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You cannot grandfather in a weapon that was built illegally in the first place. Ex post facto (after the fact) applies here... For example, if i steal something today, and tomorrow stealing is declared LEGAL, i still am going to be going to court for the theft. Same deal here.  

Your best bet, hold out on your upper and collapsable stock, and wait till after the final verdict comes in on the weapon. Keeps you from paying some nasty fines when you get caught
View Quote

???? what ????

I was under the impression that when the crime bill sunsets, all weapons deemed illegal to build durning the 10 year period would no longer be viewed as such (illegal to build after sunset). I know a few dealers who are gearing up for the rush on items that were concidered legal before that bill( and not during).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
So, in theory, if it expires..... I could "assemble" a ar pistol and not worry about the BS weight and handgard issues.  That would make the Oly ARms pistol and Bushy "Professional Ord" pistol....odd balls (no handguards)...

Interesting.....bwahahaha, bwahahaha.....[devil]

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]

???? what ????

I was under the impression that when the crime bill sunsets, all weapons deemed illegal to build durning the 10 year period would no longer be viewed as such (illegal to build after sunset). I know a few dealers who are gearing up for the rush on items that were concidered legal before that bill( and not during).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

View Quote

You arent wrong. This is all a timing issue. Right now if you have a post ban lower with all pre ban goodies on it, and you are caught with it before the bill sunsets, you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. However, if you build this same weapon AFTER the law lifts, then you are in the free and clear.

Anyway, this is off topic (i edited the post you quoted, sorry about that!) but in anycase theres is my take on the law

Safe shooting
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the input. what made me think of this is I am building my FIRST AR :):) and I all most order the Pre-ban upper. then a buddy of mine told me that I could not do it and I was like what. In my mind why would it even matter  what type of upper is on a lower It is  still Simi-auto so who gives a F@#% but I said ok and now I got my a upper(got it from model1) Kit looks good I only have to wait on my lower a (DPMS) should be here in a week or so.

thanks for all the info  
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Why didn't you just get the postban version of the Bushy upper?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
pulled this from the ar primer found on the homepage of this site.

"Post-Ban AR-15 rifles, by law, cannot have more than 2 of the following features:

1) detachable magazine

2) pistol grip

3) threaded barrel/flash hider

4) collapsible stock

5) bayonet lug

6) grenade launcher"

Right away you have a detachable mag and a pistol grip... The rest we cant do right now (legally)
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The only thing besides the pistolgrip and the detachable mag that I would concider getting would be the collaspible stock.

I have no need for a bayonet lug. If it has gotten to the point that I ran out of ammo and the threat sill remains, there is no more hope for me.

Grenade launcher...[grenade] as if they would allow us to have grenades...

Now the threaded barrel/flash hider... Is something that I might concider, but currently have no use for.

Just my views on things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
A bayonet would be cool, but not very practical. Only things i would want are collapsable stock and flash hider, both of which arent too hard to do if the ban lifts.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top