Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 1:55:26 PM EDT
I started on my first lower today, but I need help to finish it.  I am having a problem with the safety selector of all things.  I followed the directions on this site (extremely helpful).  I installed the selector pointing up to the fire position, with the hammer cocked.  The selector moved freely as stated in the directions.  I then installed the selector detent, with the point towards the selector, the spring and grip.  Without tightening the grip, just holding it in place, the selector would not move.  I removed the grip and spring and checked the hole in the grip, reinstalled and same problem.  I then removed the spring and trimmed a single coil off, reinstalled, same problem.  When I removed the grip again, I noticed that the detent did not fall free from receiver.  Previously I had the receiver upsidedown while installing spring and grip so I had not noticed this.  I cannot get the detent out and the selector will not turn, even with grip and spring removed.  Please help.  I have tapped lightly on the receiver to no avail.  All parts are RRA, everything else went smoothly.  Please help, it is very much appreciated!

Hershey
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
When you get your detent and selector out, re assemble it without the selector installed.  There may be a burr in the detent channel, keeping it from moving.  Insert a punch in the selector hole and depress the detent pin a few times and see if it pops back up.  I always install my selectors with the lower assembled.  You can remove them by rotating it between safe and fire at a 45 degree angle and pushing it out.  Installation requires depression of the detent with a punch.  I hope you can get it back apart!!!!

DG
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a drill bit to ream the passage behind the detent in an attempt to remove any possible burrs behind it.  Still no luck.  I just put the lower in the freezer.  I am hoping that the brass will contract more than the aluminum lower.  What do you guys think?  Or should I try heat?

Hershey
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
He got it fixed and commented in a separate thread.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=170403[/url]

From that thread...

Finally I gave it a firm talking to with a hammer and puch, figuring that as the selector was pushed out, it would push the detent out. It WORKED, out came the selector and detent.
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top