Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:31:24 PM EDT
I'm a newbie here, (this will be highlighted later) and am putting together an AR from a Rock River barreled upper.  I got the upper minus the bolt and carrier.  I ordered all the rest of the parts from Rock River... Bolt assembly, lower, small parts and but stock. Anyway, when I insert the charging handle and bolt carrier together into the upper receiver, the bolt will not seat all the way. It's about 1/4 inch out of battery.  Now I am unable to close the upper and lower together.  However not being able to close the upper and lower receiver is not the biggest of my problem right now. Any Ideas?
Please help!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you latching the handle closed ?  There is a latch on the handle.  You should squeeze the latch open so that the handle can be pushed in all the way.  Make sure the latch tooth is landing inside the recess area in the upper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
the charging handle closes all the way but the bolt won't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the Gaskey hitting the charging handle??? If so the key may be bent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Try this as a test.  Remove the charging handle - leave it out.  Now, slide in the carrier/bolt.  Does the carrier enter all the way ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. The bolt and carrier can fully close and engage the gas tube. Could the chargin handle be out of spec? It apperars to be new. no wear marks (when I started this mess)
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I am scratching my head.  [whacko]

I am out of ideas for the moment.  In the meanwhile, here are a few questions.

Is this your first AR ?  How familiar are you with the AR ?

Where did you get the upper from - directly from RockRiver ?  Did the components (carrier, bolt, charging handle) come directly from RockRiver ?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if you recieved any bogus parts from a shady dealer.  However, if the parts came straight from RockRiver, then the parts are Kosher.

------------

[thinking] I just noticed something.  You said "It apperars to be new. no wear marks (when I started this mess)".  Where are these wear marks ?  This could be a big clue as to the problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The upper came from a trade on the Equipmnet Exchange and all of the other parts direct from rock river.
I am very new to the AR.  I built a J&T kit for a friend a few weeks ago.  It went together in about 20 minutes with no issues at all.  I've been building FALs for a few years and after putting together that J&T kit, I had to have an AR!
Should I just order a new charging handle as hope that solves it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You said "It apperars to be new. no wear marks (when I started this mess)". Where are these wear marks ? This could be a big clue as to the problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The wear marks are very subltle along the lengthof the charging handle.  Nothing more than light rub marks.  I just wanted to indicate that it was a new item.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Where on the bolt carrier assemble does the charging handle engage it to pull it back?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The charging handle makes contact with the machined step on the top of the carrier below the round portion of the key.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Give me about 10 minutes.  I will post some picures in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Front of the gas key
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
This shows the wear marks on handle from where the handle contacts the carrier.

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33886426.jpg[/img]

Below shows how everything should fit together.

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33886431.jpg[/img]

Now, here is a close-up of the trouble area.

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33886427.jpg[/img]

With your carrier and handle out of the upper, try this.  Sit your carrier inside the handle like shown below.

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33886420.jpg[/img]

Now, here is a close-up.  Notice where the handle sits against the carrier.  Does your do this ?

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33886414.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
My boly carrier has no machines step before the key.  Is Rock River different?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#16]
What the hell is a "boly carrier" or a "machines step"?  :-)  It’s too early for me to be typing.  ANYWAY, I talked to Steve @ adco and Rock River is going to replace the bolt carrier.  They must have missed this one in QA. There is NO step at all in frot of the gas key.  It’s completely round all the way to the front of the bolt carrier.  Also, Steve must be the nicest guy I've met. Great service @ Adco.

Thank for all the tips guys! This place is supper helpful.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Mystery Solved !!! Great. [bounce]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone ever seen that before?  
Thanks again, guys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#19]
G35,

Digital cameras are great, but yours suck... I only say this because I am a Semi-Pro Photographer (Partime job/hobby). invest in one that has "Macro" capabilities.

But I do comend you on the effort to help cducati.

cducati,

can you take a picture of the bolt carrier???
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
If you think that camera sucks, you should see my pics! I got the replacement carrier in today and confirmed this.  Odd that this would get missed in QC.
I'll borrow a camera tonight and post a "side by side" of the two.
Thanks, again
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine did the same thing when I first put everything together. The buffer tube is not all the way in and its not letting the bolt seat all the way in the chamber. Take off your handguards and see if you can slide the tube out. If it moves, the sheer pin did not go in the hole on the tube. Easy fix. Punch out the pin and align the pin hole to the front sight and drive it home. It should work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you think that camera sucks, you should see my pics! I got the replacement carrier in today and confirmed this.  Odd that this would get missed in QC.
I'll borrow a camera tonight and post a "side by side" of the two.
Thanks, again
View Quote

You still have the offending bolt?  Or you going to send it back?  In theory, someone could have just milled it and it'll be fine....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
G35,

Digital cameras are great, but yours suck... I only say this because I am a Semi-Pro Photographer (Partime job/hobby). invest in one that has "Macro" capabilities.

cducati,

View Quote

[img]http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/DSCF717.jpg[/img]

The camera is a $1000 Sony with excellent macro capability.  The last pix is terrible because it was cropped extensively.  Plus, if you check the file size, you will see that the pix was saved with very low resolution in consideration for those user that have slow connections.  

Plus  dude, check the time of my post.  It was midnight. I took away from my sleep time to get those pixs posted.  I did not have time to create any award-winning photos.  Plus, it seems the pixs "got the job done".  My goal was to "comminucate" with the photos, not to take any "8 x 10" glossy studio shot for hobby purposes.  Did I mention that it was past my bed time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
G35,

cducati,

View Quote

After your crititism of my photos ?!?!? Now, you are asking cducati to post a picture ??? [ROFL2]  If he is wise, he will refrain from posting any pictures for you to critique. [flame]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
RogueAssassin,

Because you like to critique photos so much, can you do me a favor and critique this one ?  What do you think about this photo below ?  Is the resolution good enough ?  Is it clear !!!!!

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/30734696.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
G35,

cducati,

View Quote

After your crititism of my photos ?!?!? Now, you are asking cducati to post a picture ??? [ROFL2]  If he is wise, he will refrain from posting any pictures for you to critique. [flame]
View Quote

Dude... chill...

Just mentioned it bacause 1) you posted the pics to illustrate what a proper build should look like. 2)the photos detail was at best "Hard to make out" in a few unless you either shrink the photo or take a couple of steps back from the monitor. 3)It takes just a second to set you camera up for "Macro" which would have produced excellent photos with no effort at all.

Also I was not critiqueing you photos, just commenting on the bad photos. Anyone with a camera can take great photos with all the newest gadets... the difference is that a photographer learns how to use the gadets.

Enough on that subject... I asked about the photo from cducati because I was interested in seeing the carrier. Thank you very much....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
G35,

cducati,

View Quote

View Quote

Dude... chill...

Just mentioned it bacause 1) you posted the pics to illustrate what a proper build should look like. 2)the photos detail was at best "Hard to make out" in a few unless you either shrink the photo or take a couple of steps back from the monitor. 3)It takes just a second to set you camera up for "Macro" which would have produced excellent photos with no effort at all.

Also I was not critiqueing you photos, just commenting on the bad photos. Anyone with a camera can take great photos with all the newest gadets... the difference is that a photographer learns how to use the gadets.

Enough on that subject... I asked about the photo from cducati because I was interested in seeing the carrier. Thank you very much....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
RogueAssassin,

Because you like to critique photos so much, can you do me a favor and critique this one ?  What do you think about this photo below ?  Is the resolution good enough ?  Is it clear !!!!!

[url]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/30734696.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Yeah it's clear. I can clearly see how well educated you are. And the fact the you should not be allowed to own guns if you are going to let a little comment like this make you so mad that you feel that you have to ATTACK me.

Calm down, and grow the hell up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Charging_Handle is a problem. [:D]

Oh, and I also found your picture critiques annoying RA.  This is a weapons forum, not an art or photography forum.  I'm not going to hold it against you, but honestly there's no reason to critisize someone for not plopping down ANOTHER $1000 on the latest camera.  Maybe he's not into photography, maybe his camera gets him by just fine.  Maybe he has a better use for ANOTHER $1000 than on the latest and greatest camera which you will call sh*t 3 years from now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, Charging_Handle is a problem. [:D]

Oh, and I also found your picture critiques annoying RA.  This is a weapons forum, not an art or photography forum.  I'm not going to hold it against you, but honestly there's no reason to critisize someone for not plopping down ANOTHER $1000 on the latest camera.  Maybe he's not into photography, maybe his camera gets him by just fine.  Maybe he has a better use for ANOTHER $1000 than on the latest and greatest camera which you will call sh*t 3 years from now.
View Quote

Guys, I just give up.... One would think that I just spat on your mothers...

I'm sorry for posting what I did and that everyone took it the wrong. G35, CDUCATI, Everone, please accept my apology.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't post a pic right now, but if anyone really wants to see this. IM me and i'll e-mail it to you.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top