Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 9:18:42 PM EDT
I'd like to try my hand at building my own AR. Currently I own three Colts and have a boatload of spare parts onhand for them, including large pin FCG parts. For the sake of interchangability it would be nice to build a Colt rifle.

Is this possible? I've never seen one-but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No, they don't, all you can do is buy all the separate Colt parts but that would cost a pretty penny compared to other mfg's kits.  However, your Colt parts rifle would be worth more, but not as much as a factory assembled rifle.  Geez, Colt's assembled uppers cost more than many mfg's assembled rifles...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, they don't, all you can do is buy all the separate Colt parts but that would cost a pretty penny compared to other mfg's kits.  However, your Colt parts rifle would be worth more, but not as much as a factory assembled rifle.  Geez, Colt's assembled uppers cost more than many mfg's assembled rifles...
View Quote

Oh well. Thanks for the info [:)]

Bushy makes kits though, don't they?

If I couldn't build a Colt then I'd build a Bushy-Auburn ME is less than two hours away from me. Back when I used to order parts for my old Bushy they always came fast. Warranty repair turnaround time was very quick too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I may be wrong, but I don't think Bushy offers a "kit" either.  No one posts about building a Bushy kit.  They do sell all the parts though, just not at a special kit price like the others.  I think RRA is the same way, as is Armalite.  If you want to save money on a cheap kit, it's going to have to be something like Model-1, Oly Arms, J&T, DPMS?, M&A(sp), etc...

You know, if you have all those Colt spare parts, you don't need the kits, you have enough plus a few additional purchases to make a Colt rifle.  I have built at least one rifle this way, made of spare parts I got from upgrading other rifles (including Colt), so all I had to do was buy a few extra pieces.  If I had bought the kits,  I would just have ended up with more spare parts and wasted money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Mike, is that a freakin' bear looking in your window!?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, that IS a real freaking POLAR bear looking in my window.  Check out this [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=43&t=173146&w=myTopicPop]thread[/url] I posted.  It shows pictures of another polar bear that I took pictures of yesterday.  That polar bear is still wandering around outside AT THIS VERY MINUTE.  It's just a small young cub.  Since I went to bed, with my window cracked open and I could watch that bear sleeping about 50 yards away outside my window, I kept my scattergun loaded and chambered next to my bed.  You can see that shotgun in my thread.  Check it out!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You can find a Colt lower reciever, they cost a premium but you could proably get your money out when selling.  I think Colt barrels are about the best to use in a kit gun.

Quoted:
I'd like to try my hand at building my own AR. Currently I own three Colts and have a boatload of spare parts onhand for them, including large pin FCG parts. For the sake of interchangability it would be nice to build a Colt rifle.

Is this possible? I've never seen one-but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance [:)]
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top