Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2003 8:41:38 PM EDT
Hello All,

I just went to the SF gun show today and checked out the ASA table. I haven't heard anything about them on the forums when it comes to kits.

From what I saw, it seemed to be a very well put together kit (M4A2). They use chrome moly Wilson National Match 1:9 twist barrels, forged uppers, forged front sights, and comes fully assembled, headspaced, and test fired. The woman also said that all her lower parts come to her from a direct military contract supplier, not just whoever has the parts at the time (i.e. Model 1 and JT). It even comes with a lifetime guarantee to boot. Fit and finish looked nice (but I am still a noob, so don't necessarily take my word on this). All of this for less than the Model 1 kits go for.

My real question came up when I mentioned this site. She had a very interesting look on her face and said that she wasn't liked here very much and that she had gotten "threatened" a few times. I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I turn to you guys for input before I do business with this company.

Any comments on their products or any comments at all? Thanks.

Oh yeah, www.gunkits.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Just back away! You'll be much happier in the long run laying down more money for a quality kit from a company like Bushmaster. [8D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
They are only a step above Vulcan Arms (formerly Hesse).  Model 1 is just a step above ASA.  Funny that she would slight JT.  Many people here have purchased kits from JT and have been very satisfied.  You get what you pay for.  Buy from Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, DPMS, Rock River Arms or Olympic Arms and you will not be disappointed.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
And remember, the demo on the table may look good, but it ain't neccessarily what they're going to send you [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Oly arms has a good deal on 20" kits right now.  Oly all the way!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got any links?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I know alot of people here don't like ASA,but i have a 20in.A2(coplete factory rifle)from there.It has functioned flawlessly so far and the fit and finish is A+.Maybe i got lucky?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do some more research and will probably throw down the extra cash and get it done right the first time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got any links?
View Quote

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/specials.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a 16" ASA kit.  Was accurate as hell, but usually wouldn't fire more than 2 or 3 rounds without jamming.  The chamber was undersized (worn out reamer was used), and the barrel was screwed in too far, so the rear sight was adjusted all the way to the right in order for the sights to be on.  There have been people on this site who have gotten guns from them with under/oversized gas ports, and gas ports that were drilled too deep.  All in all mine was a piece of $hit.  I had it looked at by the local gunsmith (class 3 and knows his stuff) and he said it would work if I put a new barrel on it (would be the easiest way to go).  I put it on Gunbroker (entire kit) for $275 and didn't get a single bid.  Sold it to a buddy for $250 who is going to put a new barrel on it (after he realized that it really wasn't going to work, I told him!).  I then ordered a JT kit.  The finish matched perfect (ASA finish was nowhere close), it was just as accurate, everything lined up the way it was supposed to, and it actually funtions.  OH, and when you contact ASA, best case they don't return your calls, worst case (as people on this site will attest) you will get cussed/screamed at.  ASA's components are good, but the assembaly is just plain crap.  You might get one that works, but more than likely will not.  Spend your money with Bushmaster, Oly, Armatlite, or Colt if you can afford it, or if you decide to build, you can't go wrong with JT.  JT has EXCELLENT customer service; if you have any kind of problem, they will help you solve it.  I would rather shoot a slingshot than another ASA
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Gas port problems, chamber problems and Chinese small parts. That's what you get in an ASA kit. You can't give away anything marked ASA around here. They go through employees weekly and the owner is an asshole.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]
JFG![banghead]

I just bought an ASA upper with a 24" Walther barrel at the gun show this past Saturday.

They had the best lookin stuff for ARs at the show.

It was a spur of the moment buy.

I just assembled it with a Dalphon lower that I bought a long time ago.

I have not shot it yet. Waiting for burris signature zee rings, high.

I figured that ASA was ok because it is on AR15.com dealer links.[pissed]

Do Walther barrels also suck?[shock]

Dan
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]
ASA was using Harris barrels but Harris sued them for non-payment and won. Walther barrels are great barrels but I cringe at the thought of the gunsmith of the week from ASA using a worn out dull chamber reamer and trying to drill the gas port with a hand drill and no drill stop. [smash]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Innocent_bystander

ASA uses a worn chamber reamer and hand drills the gas port in the barrel?[toilet]

Is this for real?

Dan
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes!!! I've met and talked to several ex-employees. Bob the owner is an asshole and won't spend money on tools. Almost every ASA upper I have seen has been out of spec in the chamber or the gas port. ASA gave our shooting club a free rifle to give away to our member of the year. Guess what? It didn't work. When examined the chamber diameter was too small and was too long. The gas port had been drilled without a stop and a huge burr was left that sealed the gas port when the first round was fired. Not to mention the divot left in the barrel opposite the port.

Best advice, have it checked by a good AR smith!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, my chamber was GROSSLY undersized.  NO CUTOMER SERVICE WHATSOEVER.  Wouldn't extract any ammo at all.  Very nice AR, was like shooting a muzzleloader.  Shoot once, lock the bolt back, tap the hull out with a cleaning rod, reload and shoot again.  LOADS OF FUN!!!  And, yes, the gun was cleaned VERY thourougly and I did try seveal different kinds of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one, the third round said KABOOM!

After takinging it back a few times, I got a new upper and it hasn't jammed yet after 1000 rounds.  
I still don't trust it though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
20in.ASA upper FOR SALE!I've heard enough shit about theese things i might as well sell it while it's in g.c!What's it worth?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Typical ASA thread...it takes on a life of its own, and keeps getting longer and uglier. Those who have yet to drop down some of your hard earned Greenbacks on ASA Uppers & Rifles, learn from those of us who have already made the mistake of doing so. Like I say, ASA makes the best AR-15 "Looking" Single Shot Rifle out there. Caveat Emptor! [8D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I sold my whole kit (everything but stripped lower) for $250, and now the guy who bought it from me is pissed!  (I DID tell him it was a complete POS, but how could he pass it up at that price!)  Had it on Gunbroker for $275 and didn't get a single bid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Like everybody has been saying, walk away FAST!! Resell value sucks, if you ever go to sell. I had a few rifles that I had built up myself, mostly the receiver and upper was ASA (everyone of them worked but not without doing a little bit of work here and there) and then darn near had to give them away. The buyers were uneasy about the rifles but told them I would give them my phone # and if they had any issues with them I would fix it for them. Nobody called. Like innocent_bystander said, it all depends on what monkey that was working during that week put it together...

IF I need parts I order from RRA, even with the parts shipped, it was still cheaper then me driving 25 miles up to the ASA store in Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Since I was stupid enough to buy an ASA upper and am now stuck with it.[grenade]

Why does "AR15.com" still have "link" with ASA?[noclue] I mean, I bought it from them thinking that I am supporting the company that supports AR15.com.

Does any one know of a really good AR Smith in the Oakland CA area?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#22]
You can do some checking yourself to see if you need a smith. Order go and no go headspace guages and follow the directions with them. Remove the extractor and ejector before use. Try Bushmaster or Brownells. Also take a cleaning rod and patch and run them down the barrel. Are they hanging up at the gas port? If these things check out then take it out and shoot it. If it works, you were lucky.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't do it ASA is junk ,and you won't be able to sell it later .
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow....it sounds like I got really lucky.  I was in search of a stripped lower to build my first AR from two weeks ago at the gunshow here in Phoenix.  My initial intention was to buy a stripped lower and a parts kit from ASA, but I was told that they were out of lower receivers and they were backordered for 4 weeks.  I searched around for a while and eventually found a Eagle Arms lower for $115 and bought it.  Went back to the ASA table to get the kit and they were out of 20" A2 uppers.  When I mentioned that I would just order one on the internet, I thought the lady was going to have a stroke.  She said that even if they did have any lowers, if she knew I was going to buy a "junk kit" off the net she wouldn't sell it to me because it would "ruin our reputation to have our name on junk."  I left without buying anyting from her.

I'll be assembling my rifle as soon as the rest of my parts arrive next week.  RRA 20" A2 upper and lower receiver kit from Adco, stock and accessories from Model 1 (Adco was backordered on stocks).  I spent a few dollars more than the $499 ASA wanted for their kit, but it sounds like I got a better deal.

Len in Phoenix

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I have NO personal experience with ASA products, only what I have read on this board. However, from the negative comments, I would not spend my money with them.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently built my first ar on a friday afternoon and wanted to shoot it ASAP so I went to the crossroads gunshow and looked for a flip up rear site, but they were all a little over-priced, the only place that sold them locally was ASA. I saw them at the gun show but they didnt offer and type of discount while being at the show. On monday i went over to ASA and purchased the sight. After i bought it i was driving and while at a stop light opened up the package..MAN!!! it looked as if the sight had been on someones personal rifle for a couple months of combat duty. Lucky for me i was only a couple of miles away. I went and showed them the sight and got a response of "How did you do that in such a short period of time" I told them i had only took it out of the package etc..After a couple of minutes they reluctantly exchanged the sight for me...

Wont deal with them again

josh
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Congratulations on your Chinese made rear sight. They are cheap knockoffs of GGG sights made for airsoft.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#28]
AHHHH, China Charlie make good knock off fo you American. Top qruality stuff. [sex]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, how about their carry handle? are they the same ones that tapco sells?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top