Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 9:29:15 PM EDT
Anyone able to give me a ballpark figure on the cost of the tools needed to put together a stripped lower receiver? Trying to decide if I want to spend the money and time or just drop an extra $50 and be done with it.

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Tools?
I've put 3 together with nothing more than an Allen wrench for the pistol grip, some small punches for the pins,Some masking tape to keep my cockeyed ass from marking up the finish,And a couple coronas to keep me motivated...........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Like Underdog said, some punches and a screw driver or allen wrench (depending on what holds your grip on). I use pin punches with a little tit on the end to keep the punch from slipping off of the pin. The set was $9 from Midsouth Shooters Supply. I've heard of guys using nails for the same results. Save the $50 and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent about $14.

Allen wrench set. I couldn't find my old one. It was OK since I really needed a long one.

3/32 & 1/8 inch punches

#7 rubbing compound for the 15 minute trigger job. So far, I have only done the polishing and it helped alot.

1/4 x 3 cleavis pin. It is a perfect pivot pin tool and cost 79 cents.

Learning about the trigger group was more than worth the cost of tools. I also used a tack hammer, 1/4 wood dowel, electrical tape and a small piece of leather for protection, and a fish scale to measure trigger pull. It's really a simple job. Use the instructions from this site and get yourself a couple of your favorite beverages.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I assembled my lower with nothing more than a hammer, a 10 penny nail with the tip dulled down, a q-tip, and two sheets of paper towel (oh yeah- screwdriver for the stock and allen wrench for grip, my bad!)  

Granted, I probably got lucky that nothing broke, but essentially you need some very basic tools and patience and you will be good to go.

Good point on the allen wrench- seems that your standard length one is just a bit too short to torque down the handgrip screw properly.  Get a longer one if you can find it, or better yet just get a slotted screw with the proper threading and use it in lieu of the allen screw.

And beer or a good movie on TV is also essential!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Only tools I bought were a roll pin punch set for $10 or so.  Everything else was standard household tools.  

Could have gotten by with out the roll pin punches but it did make things easier.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I put mine together with nothing more than allen wrenches and a thin nail (in place of a small punch) rounded off so it won't scratch.  I built my first one like this, and it went perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Used what I had at the house already.

Sorry,

Tj
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a set of punches for this job ($20) but end up not use them at all, I had all the tools I needed in my tool box:

Hammer
screw drivers, needle nose pliers, Duck tape (very important to protect the finish) and
a needle from my wife's sewing basket (for the front pivot pin).

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like it would be stupid to not do it myself. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cost too much for the tools. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used what I had at the house already.

Sorry,

Tj
View Quote

Me too! Nothing special, just tape it up and proceed with care.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends on if you are also attaching the barrel to the upper?? If you are doing that then you need an armorer's wrench and a receiver clamp which will set you back about $60.

If you are just doing the lower then some punches, small hammer, emery cloth and maybe a file depending on if there are burrs on the parts that need cleaned up. And a long allen wrench for the grip screw. You might need a drill bit set too if any of the holes are not clean, you then hand ream them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you WANT to buy a good set of AR tools, check out [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url].

Steve (BigBore) is an ARFCOM Industry Partner. These are the best tools I've seen for gun work, and the cheapest.

Here's a link to his 'Tools' thread:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=170654&w=searchPop[/url]

You can probably get by with what you already have, but it's always easier to have the right tool for the job.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
set of punches and a brass hammer = $14
being able to say, "i build it." = priceless

truth is, i have so much fun building id do it even if it was $50 MORE.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
what tools would you need to put an upper together from parts?

- barrel wrench or combo wrench if you felt like it
- reciever clamp/vise

that it? (wouldn't be attaching a front sight/gas block)
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up the punches from Sears tonight. Came out to be $17.

The guys at the hardware department said that they might not be what i was looking for because they didn't have a "teet".

They are just flat on the end, is that what I want?? Will it work??

Thanks for the help.I'm sure I'll be asking for more once I start building.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah they'll work fine...The ones with the "tits" are made more for roll pins like used on the trigger guard and bolt catch....UNDERDOG
BTW be sure to post some pics.......
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#17]
They WILL work, just not as well.  

Take care not to damage the pins, or your receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top