Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 7:24:52 PM EDT
Hello... My name is josh and have been surfing the forum for awhile now gathering information about how to build your own ar-15...Finally I bought a MEGA lower from iblis on the equipment exchange and he was a pleasure to deal with (didnt think it would be that ez to buy lower over the net)..I then ordered a "parts kit" from JT distributing with a custom 14.5 inch m4 barrel and permanently attached muzzle break but had them leave out all the furniture because Cavalry Arms is here in AZ so i opted for "coyote brown" furniture and a forward grip.

Well today I gave it a shot and after only 40 minutes I had the whole thing together and functioning properly (i think). The instructions on ar-15.com were top notch and told me everything i needed to know..The only tools i used were a set of punches from harbor freight, flat bladed screw driver, and a hammer.

just like to say thank you to this site and all the people that asked my "dumb" questions along the way

thank you very much

josh

ps...Now where do i get magazines and ammo?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/058547.jpg
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the barrel come assembled with the upper?  If not, and you didn't use a barrel wrench, I'm impressed!

You are right, it doesn't take long.  I was cruising ARF, started fiddling with a part, then walked over and built my first rifle in about 30 minutes - didn't realize it was that easy or quick.  Didn't really need many tools beyond what you mentioned, but I did need an allen wrench for my grip, and a barrel wrench for my unbarreled upper.  Learned most of the tricks here on ARF, and would never have done it before getting hooked on ARF.

I hope you got a carry handle with that kit, or are going to get some optics/BUIS.  What do you have planned for your beautiful new baby?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
[peep]  Cool, nice color on cav furniture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Today im heading out to purchase 2 magazines, a flip up rear site and either a OKO or eotech site along with some ammuntion so i can hit the desert this weekend and see how it shoots.

Oh the kit i bought can with the upper already barreled. Ive heard you dont save that much money buying the upper in pieces because of the tools you have to buy...ie go-nogo gauge etc

josh
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  I like the green on black look.  I just finished one like that as well.  How do you like the MEGA lower?  I saw a deal on them in Shotgun News from SARCO.  I think I am going to build up another one!

DG
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The MEGA lower is top notch and I would recommend buying from Iblis on the equipment exchange..He sells them for 89 dollars shipped to your FFL...You cant beat the price and quality

josh
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Gongrats on your first build.  It looks real nice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
bayonet lug on a post ban rifle?  is the barrel 16inches long?  is the stock telescoping?  i wouldn't post any more pics if i were you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
What evil features[?]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17498[/img]

Nice rifle Josh!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
i believe that's an illegal  shadow from a ghost bayo lug. heheh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The stock is pinned and JB welded in the outward position and i had a local shop here in town machine off the lug after i found out I ordered the wrong barrel...the barrel is in fact 16 inches long with a permanently attached muzzle brake.

thx for the info

josh
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Josh, just grind it off yourself. Cut a 5" hole in something like a "Welcome" mat, wrap & tape it around the rifle to protect it. Use the coarse wheel (whatever you use to touch it up will adhere better).

[img]www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/000347-200308-000012big.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pic of the car Wilson. Do you have any parts etc for the 1950 model>?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top