Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2003 6:03:27 AM EDT
any reason to assume that a 24" barrel on an AR would be worth the extra $$?

I'm rebarreling my varmint rig, seems I've been seeing more ads for the 24" barrels for AR's from makers than before (I was always told it isn't worth it on a semi-auto, more of a bolt-gun thing...)anyway, is anyone using this length and what can I expect vis-a-vis a regular 20" set-up?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one.  Based on my experience you can expect to experience nothing with repsect to distance/accuracy (simply by virtue of the extra 4".

In my mind the jury is still out about semi-auto vs. bolt for sniper/varmint applications.  I DO believe that it's possible to build a semi auto to be (practically speaking) as accurate as a bolt gun.  But I thnk it's costly to do.

I don't think that (of course this is application specific) generally that a 5.56 is that great of a choice for a sniper rifle.  And 5.56/.223 would certainly not be my first (second, or even third) choice for a varmint caliber.

But if you're going to go that route, I think all you'll find with the 24" barrel vs. the 20" barrel (all other things being equal) is a longer barrel to have to contend with.    
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with the .223 for varmint? I thought a lot of people used that round for prarie dogs.

What do you use for varmint?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm shooting woodchucks, not boar hogs!!!!!!

Methinks the .223 is quite potent on 'chuck flesh, and I've had REALLY good experience with it on most varmints. Turns 'em inside out, for crying out loud!!!

Anyway, my 20" barrel is getting tired, and I'm just trying to get a feel for what experience, if any,  my ARFCOM brethren have had with 24" bbls.

THANKS

[50]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I've got a rra 24" full bull upper. First thing you notice is how much it weighs!

Well, all that weight out on the end of a long stick helps tame wobbles and recoil. It's a very solid rig, because it weighs a lot.

I like it. Not in love with it. The weight has some disadvantages, too.

Pete
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 24" JP 1:8 twist bull barrel - using 77 grain  hornady bullets in handloads , I have no problem getting way out there on target. The weight is a disadvantage if you carrying it on a tac rifle course. But I shoot this one from a rest. Expensive but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 16" RRA varmint rifle.  It takes coyotes down with the first shot.

I've done some target shooting with this rifle out to 300 yards and it is very accurate.  1/4 MOA out to 200 yards and 1 MOA out to 300 yards.  I'm sure the difference from 200 - 300 yards is shooter error.

I can get 1/2" groups at 200 yards very consistantly.

Here are some pictures:

[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/lousar/pictures/ARfire2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/lousar/pictures/5shotgroup.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Love Mine! Would not take 3 16"rs for it! O yea I have a Dissipator just to play with.
My 24'er has a full one inch under the hand guard and steps down twice to 15/16" at the end shoots very well. I dont put the fancy stuff through her but she hates 5.56. Match chambers do that you know. All the preshure she builds up it blows the primers right out of wolf amo! All I know is about a 1/4 mile down the road I can Bounce a milk jug around.  [naughty]
You will have fun with it Just to see if your as good as you think you are.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top