Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 11:19:13 PM EDT
Was wondering what everyone's idea is of the best barrel brench for AR15/M16?

Have used the flat steel and the cast green wrinkle finished ones (really should have the markings

Brownell's has a stainless one (now why my barrel wrench needs to be stainless I do not know ... ) by Smith Enterprise that looks the same as the "green" one ...

Thanks
John

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert.  My first, and only wrench that I bought was the Smith Enterprise wrench.  I have used it about six times.  I like it a lot. I would recommend it.  From looking at Bushmaster's picture of the one Bushmaster sells, it look like Bushmaster's wrench is the same as the Smith Enterprise wrench.

BTW, I purchased mine directly from Smith Enterprise.  They were nice to deal with, and had prompt delivery.

PS - one advantage of the stainless steel is that it will not rust.  Although I think that is a non-issue because the wrench's coating is so thick and hard, I don't think any bare metal would be exposed for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had a problem with the DPMS Combo wrench, i messed up a buffer ext tube cause the wrench is too loose.  I still use it but also have a GI wrench.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stainless is a poor material for a wrench; far too soft.  A wrench needs to be HARD yet tough in order to get the job done.  For an example of a lousy wrench, try something from China!
View Quote

At least the Chicom wenches are better than the electronics (but that is not saying much).

Was wondering on why the Smith was stainless, as I had grown up in the days of tool steel and you just kept the tools dry / waxed / oiled.

Regards
John
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top