Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 12:04:03 PM EDT
The Marine maintenance manual shows the use of a barrel clamp when removing the barrel nut from the upper receiver.  After comparing this approach to the use of a receiver clamp, it seems like the barrel clamp would cause a lot of strain on the index pin, since it is the only thing preventing the upper from turning.  The only use I can think of for a barrel clamp would be while removing the front sight block.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They been using barrel vise since the rifle came about, almost 35+ years ago...all branches of service, only in the last few years have people been making receiver blocks.

Decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
barrel.  little round piece of steel

upper.  big "square" hunk of aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel nut screws onto the upper, not the barrel. Therefore, technically, it's better to hold the upper when screwing a barrel nut onto it.

Better ideas *do* come along. Otherwise we'd be here talking at "www.flintlocks.com"

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After comparing this approach to the use of a receiver clamp, it seems like the barrel clamp would cause a lot of strain on the index pin, since it is the only thing preventing the upper from turning.  The only use I can think of for a barrel clamp would be while removing the front sight block.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

Nope, you're not missing anything.  In fact, you're keenly observant.  The receiver blocks put much less strain on the index pin and the slot in the upper receiver.

Don't believe everything you read in the Marine Corps. Technical Manuals, especially when it comes to torque wrenches.  [}:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top