Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 7:24:30 PM EDT
So I got my first AR from the gunstore.(20"bushy) Now I want a second, yeah I'm infected. I was hoping to learn the AR inside and out and in the process save a little $$$. So I have some questions.

- What tools will be needed to put an AR together? (attach the barrel, front sight/gas block, etc.) I'm trying to create a list with prices on what tools, parts, kits I will need to complete an AR.

- If one had a pre-ban stripped reciever, what would they have to do to keep its preban status? Would you have to use special parts? How would you go about getting a threaded barrel with a bayonet lug and flash suppressor?

- What are some good lower reciever parts kits to finish up a stripped reciever? I'm basically looking at building a 'mil-spec' AR.

What advice can ya give this newbie???

Thanks to all who respond in advance!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Tools:  Look at this Brownells link for the [url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=432&s=1986#1986]AR-15 Tools kit[/url]

Many of the items that kit contains are not necessary - look at the individual descriptions.  You will in any case need:
1 set of punches (1/4, 5/32, 1/8, 1/16)
1 hammer, preferably say brass/plastic combo
1 barrel wrench - a combo wrench will also help you with flash hiders and carbing stock castle nut
 you may or may not need a torque wrench, some claim it's not required, others demand it - item of considerable debate
1 vise - vise blocks are nice such as an receiver action clamp, barrel clamp, and lower receiver blocks
1 set screwdrivers.  Make sure they are hollow ground so they do not mess up your screws (only if you care)
Hex bit for carrier key bolts if your bolt carrier didn't come with the key already bolted on

Many barrels come with gas blocks/sight towers, but if you have to install a sight tower with taper pins, you might want a taper pin punch.

Yes, it will cost some money if you don't have these tools, but some of these tools will also be of general service for other projects as well.

Pre-ban receivers do not normally come fully stripped - IIRC ATFE says if they are stripped then they loose their preban status.  Having the grip and a telestock would give you legal backing.  That doesn't mean you can't score one stripped, but who's going to say anything?  The preban barrels (threaded, bayo lug, flash hider) are available, just don't mount it to a post ban lower receiver.  If you have such an upper (pre-ban), and you only have post ban lowers, ATFE could possible prosecute you for intent to assemble an assault weapon, but again, who's going to tell them?

Many companies sell the lower kits (Oly Arms, RRA, DPMS, and many others).  For separate small parts, I recommend [url=www.georgiaprecision.com]Georgia Precision Shooter's Supply[/url] as if the order is small, they can ship to you very cheaply.  Their parts are RRA and of high quality.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
AK_Mike - thanks for the quick response, I checked out Brownells website and found the tools you were talking about. The whole kit is the same price as a brand new AR but I could manage buying the different tools you mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the best investments I've made lately are a set of the Brownell's hollow ground screwdriver/bit sets.  These are light years better than any other screwdriver or bits I own.  Also, the roll pin starter punches come in very handy, they work a whole lot better than trying to hold the pin with a pair of pliers, at least for me.  

A good combo wrench is a necessity, I recommend the DPMS.  

Really, for the most part, you already have just about everything you need in your tool box to do this...but the receiver block and combo wrench are absolute must haves...I learned the hard way (screwed up an upper) not to try it without them.  

Brownell's has everything you need, but you certainly don't have to buy their kit to put an AR together...just a few individual pieces, combined with your existing tools, and you should be good to go.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of the best investments I've made lately are a set of the Brownell's hollow ground screwdriver/bit sets.  These are light years better than any other screwdriver or bits I own.  Also, the roll pin starter punches come in very handy, they work a whole lot better than trying to hold the pin with a pair of pliers, at least for me.  
View Quote

Very, very good advice.  I also bought the Brownell's driver bits set.  It was one of the best investments I ever made.  The sets can be pricey (especially the master set I bought), but you will use it a lot, for a long time.  They are all hollow ground so they will not damage the screw.  With the large set, you will always have the exact bit for the screw slot - length and width, so no slipping or damage will occur.  Can't say enough about those sets, they are the cat's meow.  Only thing better perhaps is the full set of drivers (rather than just bits and a handle), but that would be a LOT of drivers, and with the bit set you can use them with a variety of handles and drivers (even ratchet).  The roll pin holders and roll pin punches have also made a big difference in my tool life.  I could not get along without them - another great investment.  They will be used many, many times over, and make roll pin life so much easier.  Unless you are going to be a one time builder, and don't use tools much, get both the bit sets and holders and you will thank yourself many times over the years...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
A quick note or two on the screwdrivers:

Chapman screwdriver bits are also good quality, if they are even still made.  I have a set that I bought like 20 years ago, and they are still great.  They were a little less expensive than the Brownells brand.

Brownells will sell you a magna bit handle and individual bits.  Even better, they have a super tech department that can help you with individual bits.  For instance, you tell them you need a bit for the grip screws on a xxxx brand pistol model xxxx, and they look it up and tell you, "Ah, you need bit number z."  Great folks!

FWIW
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your input, I've got myself a list going of what I should need. I'm sure I will have to come back here later and post a thread saying "how do I ___" but for now I am set.

Bladeforger - I'll look into the Chapman bits, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A quick note or two on the screwdrivers:

Chapman screwdriver bits are also good quality, if they are even still made.  I have a set that I bought like 20 years ago, and they are still great.  They were a little less expensive than the Brownells brand.
View Quote

Good point Bladeforger. Yes Chapman screwdriver sets are still made, with different levels/size kits.  Still a standard for gun work.  Less expensive than the more expansive Brownells kits.  I always have one in my range bag!

Later daze,
-Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Side note Chapman vs Brownell's screw drivers.

The Chapman are just a little softer and designed to yield just before the screw head gives (more or less).  The blade width on the Chapman screw drivers are typically a little wide and best that you grind/file the blade to fit the screw driver.

The Brownells brand are a little harder and designed to get all the force possible to remove a screw and then typically fracture.  While you at times have to grind / file the Brownells brand bits, there are many more thickness options and often fit (some of the new custom sets have a LOT of thickness).

The two sets are both good and like everything else best to have both (I carry a pre-ground set of Chapman in the truck when I hunt and a standard set of the Brownells when I go to shoots with friends (never know what screw one is going to run across.).

Regards
John
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Add one 5/8" open end wrench for the receiver extension. Unless your barrel wrench happens to have it on there already.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Add one 5/8" open end wrench for the receiver extension. Unless your barrel wrench happens to have it on there already.
View Quote

added to list [:D]

anything else I'm missing?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top