Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2003 3:19:39 PM EDT
Does anybody know where I can get a Pivot Pin Installation Tool cheap?  I am working on building my first lower and this seems like a worthwhile tool to have.  

Chris
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells has one for $8.23 it is stock number 080-216-011.  I've yet to get all my parts in for my lower, but I've heard a lot of people say that they didn't need one.  I've heard people use allen wrenches, razor blades, pencils, etc to hold down the detent and spring.  As a first time builder to another I hope this helps, let me know how it turns out and if the tool is worth the $8 or so!  Good luck!
[:)]

Hershey
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, a razor blade you say?  I might try that instead, if it doesnt work I can always get the tool to install it.  I ordered my lower parts kit yesterday, but with it being labor day weekend I'll probably wont get the parts until later next week.
Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster sells a receiver push pin tool that doubles as a pivot pin detent installation tool for $6.95.
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/imp-1.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ouch, shipping brings the total to $13.95.  I might have to order it though.
Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Krazny13 - go to the hardware store and get a 1/4"(???) clevis pin.  It has a couple of holes drilled thru it.  Put the detent spring in the detent hole.  Slide clevis pin into the holes on your lower and line up one of the clevis holes over the detent hole.  Drop the detent thru the clevis hole and into the detent hole.  Using a small nail or something similar (I use a small punch), stick it thru the clevis hole and push down on the detent - at the same time turning the clevis pin slightly, capturing the detent under the clevis pin.  Now get your take-down pin and insert it into your lower, pushing the clevis out as you do this.  Basically, you are using the clevis pin as a slave pin.  I'm sure the way I expained it, it's as clear as mud eh?  Look at [url]www.imperialinc.com/items.asp?item=0703500[/url] for a pic of a clevis pin.

Edit - forgot to say that these are about $1.00 each.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,
I'll pick one up next time im at the hardware store.  
Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Last week someone reccomended a pin from a door hinge.  Sounds like it will work.

I like the razor blade or a feeler guage trick to push it in.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top