Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 2:17:40 PM EDT
Has anyone else received a Model 1 kit recently that has a bolt catch with a very rough irregular surface on the small bevel to the left of the larger bevel (looking toward the chamber)? I called them and they said send it back and they would send me a new one, but the one I got back looks exactly like the other one. I e-mailed them and they said they're all like that. I find that hard to believe. My DPMS kit bolt catch didn't look like that. Is there any part of the bolt that contacts that area that may cause wear or function problems?

Thanks for any help or advise you can give me.

Terry
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put a Model 1 kit together yesterday and I didn't have the irregularity on the bolt catch you have. I even just checked it and one I put together a little over a year ago and just to be sure after reading your post and they are both fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The second one looked like the first, because that's what the most recent subcontractor sent them.  It's not confined to just one supplier either.  All the aftermarket AR people buy their action and other small parts from the same few subcontractors, and if someone turnes out a junky batch of something, it starts showing up on half a dozen different brand names.

Having learned this lesson the hard way, I now build my ARs, to the greatest extent possible, with GI surplus Colt parts.  I'd rather have a used Colt piece in the rifle than almost anybody elses new stuff. This is why I keep going to gun shows[:D]  Haven't bought a new gun at a show in years, but I've sure picked up a lot of parts, assemblies, and even a complete AR (Colt M16A1) barrelled upper.

That way I don't have to worry about quality of what I'm getting.  Nearly all the aftermarket folks put out high quality uppers, lowers, and barrels.  With the internals tho, it's catch as catch can.[;D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top