Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2003 12:07:43 PM EDT
Hey guys Im about to put a lower together.Ive read here that to grease the tube threads with some grease before install. Would plain white lithium grease be OK.Ive heard that NOT to USE GRaphite type on AR's. I have some USGI rifle grease ( Plastilube ) and Tetra grease , also. Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a dab of GI grease, but I don't think you can go wrong with the white lithium stuff..I've never used the Tetra, so I don't know about that.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tech Manuals call for moly lube (Molybdenum Disulfide) available at any car part store for a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
(Molybdenum Disulfide) What is it exactlly? Wheel bearing grease??WD
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, Moly should not be used on wheel bearings and u-joints because it will build up on the rollers, or needle bearings. I would like to know myself exactly what type of base lubricant weapons grade moly lube has? Is it in with Lithium EP grease? I would like to see some API/SAE or other specs for moly lube for weapons use is my question.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Grease is Grease.

Let's use some common sense- what is this grease used for?

To prevent the two parts from corroding together, so the tube can be removed... um, in many years. There is no lubricating function for this grease.

Why, I just took some fried chicken and grabbed me a greasy darkmeat thigh off of that bird, rubbed it on my extension threads.

Works great, and smells good when you are shooting, too. But I do get hungry for lunch a bit earlier. Odd.

Pete
(who actually uses a little dab of teflon muzzleloader breach grease, because it was the handiest thing in my toolbox.)
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you trying to accomplish by greasing the threads?

If you want anti-sieze properties, there are excellent products for that.  Anti corrosion?  Some grease products work better than others where aluminum meets steel.

Colt has been known to licktite the buffer tubes to the lowers.

Me, I use standard teflon tape.  I don't want the threads to gall, and I do not want to introduce any possible contaminants that could cause corrosion.

If I had a wobbly-loose buffer to lower screw fit, I might consider locktite, but would try the pink teflon tape first.

If I need an anti-sieze compound, I have a tub of mil-spec antisieze that I got when I worked for an airline, it is for aluminun to steel connections, hmmmm... sounds like an AR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys.Im putting a New A1 buttstock on a new Bushy lower.Im just trying to do it right.Ive built an AK, 2ea M14's and a M1 Carbine.My first AR project. Just trying to dot my I's and cross my T's.Just saw someone in an other post saying the Tech manuel stated to put some grease on the buffer tube threads. I know it's not Rocket science but trying to get it right the first time. :)  Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I use blue Locktite.  It will keep everything together and act as a buffer between the two parts.  A little goes a long way.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster sells Molybdenum Disulfide in a pot for $8.00.Its what i use on threads and triggers for all my guns. I use there white grease on sliding metal to metal parts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Or...you can buy 1lb cans for it for $4 at any car parts store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffer tube to lower is aluminum to aluminum, and I have yet to use the first dab of anything on that connection.  Both parts are anodized in manufacture, so unless you're headed for the jungles of Viet Nam I seriously doubt that corrosion is going to be a problem.  I suppose that if I started to feel some galling during assembly, I'd back the tube out and put a dab of whatever lube was handy on it. Otherwise?; naw, I don't think so[:D]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Lubricant on threads actually aids in the being able to smoothly torque said items together. Picture trying to get proper torque on a rusty/gritty/dirty dry thread, you may think it is tight, when in reality, all your torque is being used to over come the drag on the threads, apply some lubricant, and that fastener will be a lot smoother when tightening.

Corrosin on an AR/M16? I do not use mine for a grounding rod shoved into the ground in a corrosive environment, or sitting in a wet environment for months on end,, so it really should not matter what you use on the threads.
Mine has Mobil-1 synthetic grease on it, as that is what I keep on hand for the jet ski' pump bearings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the replys.  :)  WarDawg
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top