Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 6:39:51 AM EDT
Ok Its Time for me to build. I think for my first AR I want a 20" Or an M4 I cant really decide but anyway. I need to build one for Cheap Really Cheap. This means probably getting an A@ because i dont want to hassle with optics! So... Can you help me?!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
olympic arms striped lower receiver $82.00

You can find complete rifle parts kits from manufacturers or distributers for $400.00

If you want better parts and have time, just watch auctions and the EE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I can highly recommend the J&T kits, and use with Oly, DPMS or whatever other lower you want.  With a lower for about $100-$150 (depending on brand and after paying FFL transfer) and the J&T kit for about $450, you end up with a very nice rifle for about $600.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I want a 20" What is better 1/8 or 1/9 twist? And I think im going with M&A parts kit unless i can find a complete upper on EE

Justin
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want cheap...

I second the Oly arms lower or one of the other stripped lowers found here or at other web sites. A guy on assaultweb.net sells contract stripped lowers at a good price.

You can find uppers and some other parts on ebay for fairly cheap. Look at preban uppers to convert to postban. Swap the flash hider for a comp, grind off the bayo lug and you got a post ban. Cut the 20" bbl down for dissapator type carbine if you want a shorter rifle.

Model 1 sales has some pretty good deals on uppers. They will also sell the bolt/carrier with the upper at a slight dicount.

M16 bolts/carriers can sometimes be found cheaper than a semi bolt. These are easy to convert to semi with 5 minutes on a grinder.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I already got a Forged lower. So I think i will go with M&A. What is better 1/8 twist or 1/9.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I already got a Forged lower. So I think i will go with M&A. What is better 1/8 twist or 1/9.

Justin
View Quote

[url]http://www.ammo-oracle.com/#whattwist[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks I will do 1/9
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the Model 1 standard CAR kit for $400, and an Eagle or Mega lower.  With shipping, $517 to you (more if you have to pay trasfer/shipping on the lower...I didn't).  BTW, Quantico Arms has the Eagle lowers back in stock TODAY, according to an email they sent me.  $100 plus shipping.  I've seen the Megas for $89 shipped, and if you can get the Oly for $82, jump on it.  

In the long run, I think you'll be happier if you get the flat top; you can always snag an inexpensive red dot or scope on the EE., then replace it when you can afford something better.  Even a $30 BSA red dot would work for a while; you're not gonna be happy with the limited sighting options of the A2 config, if that's gonna be you're only rifle for a while.  

My 16" Model 1 just did a bunch of sub moa groups with the loads I was testing...first chance I had to put good ammo through it.  I don't see you needing a 20" rifle; the 16" standard barrel will do everything you need it to, and be lighter and easier to track with.  

The M4 profile is cool, but I don't think it gives you anything special, and I think the M4 kit will be more expensive...stick with a standard barrel with no muzzle device.  Down the road, if you want to swap the barrel or install a float tube or whatever, you won't have to worry about removing the muzzle brake.  

I'm VERY happy with my Model 1 standard CAR kit.  I've pimped it out some, but still, the basic rifle has performed flawlessly ever since I got it.  I'm happy with the accuracy so far; I'm gonna tweek the load I worked with this weekend some more, when I can afford more bullets lol, so I expect I can really get it dialed in to do sub moa all the time.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont want a 16" I just bought an AK and thats a 17" So im getting a 20". If and when i get a 16" m4 i will take the 20" off and use that lower!

Thanks
   Justin
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the model 1 20" kit- 400+18 s&h
oly arms FORGED lower- 118
good price for an excellent gun
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Iblis was selling fully asembled Stinger lowers for $230 last I remember- don't remember his business webpage though.  With a $289 upper from J&T, that would give you a fully assembled rifle for $520!

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
ahh...that doesn't include the bolt or bolt carrier.  It would be closer to $610 or so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to sound too much like a noob(which I am), but if I buy this kit: [URL=http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KSO200&storeid=1&image=s20postk.gif]KIT[/URL]

and this lower:[URL=http://www.quanticoarms.com/graphics/items/EA900P.jpg]Lower[/URL]

That's all I need for complete AR.  Maybe a few tools, spare parts(pins and such) and the USMC manual.

Thanks
Nick
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep...thats all you need.  Except for a magazine or two.

You don't even need alot of tools to complete a rifle.  The Model 1 kits come with the upper fully assembled.  All you have to do is put the lower together.  All you need for that is a screwdriver and maybe a punch set.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top