Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 10:28:01 PM EDT
Okay, after spending obscene amount of money on several MSTN custom builds, getting all the cool accessories and parts I could, what to do with all the leftovers?  Some you may have seen me sell parts recently, the rest went into my own first build, a lightweight/super lightweight project.  I had a box full of regular parts, mostly Colt and RRA, and some weird parts I picked up over the years, so this is also an experimental platform for me.  While cruising ARF, I started to fiddle with some of the parts, and 30 minutes later, everything but the barrel assy was built!  I didn't realize how easy it was, how few tools were needed, and I am not mechanically inclined.  Even the pivot pin detent took all of 1 minute, just using a allen wrench that fit the hole - no special tool I thought I needed.

Started off just wanting to see how my new RRA Match A4 upper, which I scored on the EE board, would fit my RRA lower.  Let me say this, IT WAS TIGHT.  They sell matched sets, but this was just the match upper to a standard lower. There was absolutely no play, and the first few times putting them together, I was afraid I would need a hammer to get them apart.  A few fittings later, and a soft mallet, they are now just really, really snug.

More to follow
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Base is a RRA lower (Legal-Transfers), upper is a RRA Match A4 upper (EE), which had the forward assist assy already installed.  Stock is an ARFX (EE), GG&G rear BUIS (old style without lock, MSTN), small parts from Georgia Precision, Colt Bolt Carrier/Bolt assy (no special mods but new HD extractor spring). Old gas tube pictured just above forend, KAC sight tower side sling swivel (MSTN), old TACMIII light just protruding, old A2 handguards, ARMS Bipod with Adaptor #5, Hogue Grip, Colt trigger (still need that RRA match job!), and a Trijicon Compact ACOG.  What's that funky mount you say?  Well, I got the 'special ring' version, in case I wanted to mount it on another non-AR rifle.  In this case I am using the high mount for special ring, it is above the iron sites, while the medium is below, and I also have the low mount.  None of those will cowitness, too bad, as you can see my rear BUIS can actually flip up with the mini ACOG still mounted.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Here it is again, with the BUIS flipped up, and a left over Colt Carry Handle assy. and CQB Solutions HST sling.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16475[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16480[/img]

Note the RRA selector, great for my small hands, and the hole where the mag catch should be.  I forgot to order the part!  Take a close look and you will see a strange bolt release.  This one has a large upper bolt release pad, and on the same lever, bottom to the right, another pad for bolt hold instead of a little bump.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16479[/img]

Take another close look, the mag release button fills the fenced in area - it's an extended (wide) mag release button.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16477[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16474[/img]

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Now some notes and explanations.

The finish on the match upper was more glossy, the lower an extreme flat black.  Not the best match, but this is a inexpensive build so who cares?  Wow did my fire control pins show up shiny white, though the mag catch hole is really a hole, for now.

This was to be a super lightweight project.  I have a Bushmaster SLW barrel assy. coming to me.  I could have gone with the boom tube stock, but I just don't like it, looks and snag wise.  The bipod stud?  Well, when I want to shoot for groups, I need something, and the compact ARMS bipod will go on, taken off when I am done.  The TACMIII light is as bright as a Surefire, it's a 2 cell lithium job, but the body is made of some lightweight polymer, as is the mount.  It's made to be a weapon light, so I should have any shock problems.  I have several of these leftover, so heck with weight, on it goes, will weigh the rifle with and without it.

This is not to be a SHTF or tactical rifle, just an inexpensive first build with spare parts, and lightweight.  So please don't grill me with second rate components, or what I am about to say.  I scored a Fobus/First Samco M33 forend.  Wasn't planning on it, but what the heck.  Okay, it's plastic.  It's weak.  But it has got to be lightweight and arguably a slight upgrade from old A2 handguards plust I got it in a trade and I won't be subjecting it to heavy torque.  I plan to get a cheap vertical grip (again, no serious use expected), and will use the plastic Fobus light mount to put the TACMIII light at the 6'clock position, forward of the grip.  A really poor man's Surefire M900? Will also have the plastic QD Fobus bipod mount for when I need to bipod it for precision.  Most of my other guns have flip front BUIS just cause the shadow through an optic annoys me, but does not prevent normal use of most optics.  My SHTF and M4 uppers keep the tower.

So I will weigh the rifle without the top rail cover, verticle grip, and light assy., with and without the compact ACOG to see just how light it is, then with the grip and light.

Again, most of my other units have KAC forends, ACOGS, Aimpoints, Crane stock, etc., so I can still hold my head up high.  This is just a fun project, something someone like 3rdtk wouldn't even give a glance at, much less spit on. [;)]

I am even thinking of doing my own camo/paint job, since I can afford to ruin the finish on this rifle, but not my other high $$$ jobs.  Since the upper and lower don't match, finish wise, it begs for it.  Might go with a winter camo job since I am in Alaska after all.

Will post pics when it is done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice build!

In my opinion, homegrown is better than store bought. For one thing, if you think the S might really HTF, do you think you can return your rifle for service? You will need to be your own armorer.

I want to see your camo job!

I'm working on stretch fabric tubes that slide over the ARFX  tubes. Easy, and changable. Of course, I'm doing red snakeskin....

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top