Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2003 8:14:16 PM EDT
I want to buikd my first Ar, but I'm not sure which kit is the best. Should I just buy a entire rifle or is a built rifle just as good ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say which kit is the best because I've only used J&T.  But I can say that J&T's kits were entirely satisfactory.  But-- if you want a chrome-lined barrel, the only option with a J&T kit is their M4gery, which has an integral muzzle brake that some people might not care for.  If chrome-lined isn't a big deal for you, or if you're looking for a heavy stainless varmint gun, they're great.  I've built three and I'm completely satisfied.

If you buy a complete rifle, you might get a better match on the upper and lower receiver finish, but I don't think the quality is any better.  There's not a whole lot to assembling an AR from a kit (the upper comes fully assembled with J&T kits), so as long as you're getting quality parts, I don't see why having it factory built would make it any better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've assembled 5 or 6 Olys, and they have all been great.  If you assemble it yourself, figure on saving about $100 avoiding FET (fed tax).  It is legal, you get to know your weapon better, and it is fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with J&T, check the board. J&T have all pros
the others, not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely build one (then many more).

I've had the best luck with J&T kits and Rock River lowers.  Model 1 seems to be good quality and good prices but I have never ordered a kit from them (just parts).  Olympic seems inconsistent, I have a pistol cal upper I really like, and an Oly lower I really do NOT like.

Bottom line, any major supplier should work fine, you just get what you pay for... too cheap is just that.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeap! I agree with the other guys JT is the way
to go and the Rock River lower, mine came out
perfectly for a first build. No problems with the build and the same when test fired.
Nice people,fast service and quality parts,
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
J&T all the way, went to gether great except that it was missing the trigger pin, now that may be attributed to my brother opening it first, but J&T shipped one out the next day great company
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Only build experience has been an Oly PCR-4 with my son last October. No issues at all, son very happy with it, has worked first time and every time since. Their PCR-4 upper assembly/lower parts kit just went on sale again ($424 + s/h). If I were in the market, I would buy one without hesitation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Madcap,

In the last year, I've built about 10 ARs for my friends and me, one on a bushy lower and the rest on RRA lowers.  All of the kits came from JT.  They all went together [b]perfectly[/b].  I couldn't tell any major difference between the bushy and RRA lower.  All the JT/RRA upper/lowers fit together a little tighter (read better) than did the JT/bushy.  We are all 100% happy with our guns (and the money we saved by building them)

I just built another JT/RRA rifle for a local pawn shop.  They sold a customer a Hesse, and it just wouldn't work for him so they called me and I built them a better rifle for cheaper and they replaced his with it.

When I came here asking for advice, these guys told me the same thing, RRA and JT.  I took their advice and I have never regretted it.

J
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I will have to agree on the J&T Kit.  I built one on an Eagle Arms lower, and the color match and fit were perfect.  It only took about an hour with the instructions supplied by this site.  I still haven't been able to shoot it yet so I cant say anything about accuracy, but I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all your info !
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#11]
assembled this with kit from Model 1 sales, tight fit and functions flawlessly...500 rounds without a failure so far..........
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056645-big.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about all of them but I bought a 16" kit from JT and it works just fine.

DKreh
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
All I know is that I have ordered from Model 1; and their functionality and quality is 1st in my book.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
As you can see from some of my other posts I like Model 1 , I have a 20" and a 16" and I am happy with both . When it comes to build or buy complete I would say build it yourself you will save money that can be spent on ammo and mags . I just priced a M4gery yesterday that was $1035.00 before taxes at a local shop , you can build the same rifle for less than $700.00 . You do the math and I'm sure you will see learning your weapon and saving money is the way to go .
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
J&T sounds great. What is their web site address?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I purchased a "US PROPERTY" marked RRA Lower from Legal Transfers (Pete in New Hampshire) and a 16" CAR Model 1 Kit. They assembled perfectly and the weapon fires an easy 1-2 MOA from a braced offhand position @ 100 yards. I haven't shot it from the bench yet, but I'm sure it will shoot sub MOA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend M&A (m-aparts.com).
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
It all came down to price for me.  Model 1 sales kits are $400 for the lightweight barrel CAR kit.  M&A wants $50 for the same kit and J&T wants $485.

Thats a big difference in price.  Money that can be put towards ammo, magazines or other modifications that you want to do.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top