Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 8:14:01 PM EDT
I'm currently building my first (of many!) AR and would like some opinions on a lower receiver purchase. I've narrowed it down to 2: the Mega lower from Iblis in the EE ($89 shipped and stripped, plus $20 for my FFL fee). Or an RRA directly from Pete at Legal Transfers in NH for $140 as I live within an hour from them. So is the RRA worth the extra $30? I'm leaning towards the RRA from all the great things I've read about them on this site, but I guess I'm just looking for pros and cons of each. The money isn't an issue, but of course any dollars saved on one part can be used towards another part instead! I'm putting the lower with a Model 1 Lightweight CAR kit which I've already received and I just want to make sure I get a lower that will match well (for fit) with the Model 1 kit. This rifle will serve as my all purpose rifle, that is until I build my next one. Thanks for any responses. J
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I PICKED UP A RRA STRIPPED LOWER FROM LEXINGTON ARMS IN THE EE FOR $99 SHIPPED AND SO FAR IT HAS BEEN GREAT. IT ARRIVED AT MY FFL 6 DAYS AFTER A COPY OF MY FFL WAS RECEIVED (RECEIVED ON THURSDAY, ARRIVED ON TUESDAY).
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The Megas are supposed to be really good, and $89 shipped is hard to beat.  RRA is good, so is Eagle Arms.  Just make sure it's forged, and get the least expensive/most readily avaivable name brand one you can.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered my RRA stripped lower for $95 shipped from SableCo.  I am waiting for it to arrive, but no complaints so far!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm going to go with a Mega for my next one. The RRA one was good but it had a few scratches in the surface when I got it. They were easy to cover up but it seems to scratch a lot easier than my Oly lowers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Recon,

You might check and see if Pete has any NON US property marcked lowers.  They will be closer to $100, if he has any.  Then you don't have to pay any ffl fees.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Vector_Joe:

Why would you not have to pay an FFL fee if you get a non US marked lower? Any lower requires going through an FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vector_Joe:

Why would you not have to pay an FFL fee if you get a non US marked lower? Any lower requires going through an FFL dealer.
View Quote

Because he said he could just drive over to Pete's and pick one up.  If he orders from out of state, he has to pay the ffl transfer fee.  I was just saying that if he could pick up a cheaper one from Pete, it would be worth it.  Has nothing to do with markings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go for the Mega. I currently own a Rock River lower receiver, which is without a doubt the best on the common market, but my friend's Mega blows my RRA away.

Its finish on the Mega is very smooth, and a deep, dark black, and has absolutely no rough edges like forging marks. The mag well walls are a bit thinner on the Mega, but I think it's taken from the insides.. all mags drop free from it.

It's also cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I just received a mega lower marked multi caliber and it's excellent. I opted for a assembled one due to the very good price. Put a dpms 16" bull upper on and the match is unbelievable! Tightness, color and fit is top notch.

Greg
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top