Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2003 12:45:23 PM EDT
have a new post ban Bushy and I just found a threaded A2 style brake in the brownells catalog. How hard is it to do? Where can the parts be had? Anyone you guys know of that do this? Welding the brake on is a no brainer and I have threaded many things but I really don't wanna screw up this barrel. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Patriot,
If you look on brownells web site they also have a tool for doing just what you want.  Its called an AR15/M16 Flash Suppressor Tap and Die for threading barrels the part numbers are 080-598-528 for the Tap and 080-598-529 for the Die.  They are $19.85 and $12.35 respectively.  I hope this helps.

Hershey

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Patriot,
If you look on brownells web site they also have a tool for doing just what you want.  Its called an AR15/M16 Flash Suppressor Tap and Die for threading barrels the part numbers are 080-598-528 for the Tap and 080-598-529 for the Die.  They are $19.85 and $12.35 respectively.  I hope this helps.

Hershey

Thanks hershey I did see that but it still makes me nervous. I am very mechanically inclined but ruining this rifle would be like breaking up with Britney Spears. I have also been reading that you shouldn't silver solder the AR A@ brakes on but blind pin them. I'm not blind pinning anything. maybe i will wait until we are liberated next September and get a Vortex. I don't know. Thanks buddy.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The threading isn't the hard part - it's turning down the barrel concentric with the bore.  For that it's worth it to pay a machinist for the lathe time.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top