Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2003 10:09:57 AM EDT
I'm building an M4 carbine, using all Colt parts.
(Disclaimers: I have my reasons for using all-Colt, so no lectures about that, please, I know about and also own Bushmaster, etc. And I'm preban, so no legal issues.)

The problem is, Colt doesn't seem to be shipping these parts to the civilian market any more.  I've acquired a Colt M4 upper, but I'm having trouble getting a Colt collapsible stock. Now, in pictures I've seen, these late-model stocks look just like - and I'm sure are - the Fiberlite stocks sold elsewhere, including Bushmaster.com.

My question is, not having an opportunity to inspect a Colt M4, are these exactly the same item?  If the Colt ones say "Colt" on them, then that's what I need, even if that's the only difference. (If there is no difference at all, then I'll just get one on the market.)

Can someone tell me firsthand if there's any cosmetic difference?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a cosmetic difference between the Colt M4 ribbed stock and the others. There are no markings on mine. Some of the copies I've seen have been unmarked and others have been marked.

On the Colt, the area in front of the latch is straight where as its curved on the copies. The sling swivel area. The Colt has more material around the swivel and the copies don't. This gives the swivel on the copies some room to be rotated some what to either side.

Will post some pics of my Colt stock tomorrow. I don't have a none Colt stock to compare however.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The Colt stock will have the milspec extension tube which has a slightly smaller oaverall diameter.  The Colt is also four position, while most everyone else's is six position.  

Cosmetically, they look the same, but the non Colt ones have tubes that are slightly larger and will not mate correctly with something like a Crane or VLTOR stock.  However, the six position stock of the non Colt ones will give you greater versatility.

If you think you are going to ever get a VLTOR stock, get the Colt or milspec buffer tube.  or you could wait awhile because VLTOR is working on producing their own five position tubes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
MSTN has the buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Booth,

There was another recent thread about the Colt M4 stocks - there actually (seems to be at least) a 6 position Colt CAR stock.  The thread originator was complaining about the cost, then another poster told him another place to look that had them much cheaper.  Sorry I can't index the thread, I can't seem to find it at the moment. I know that civilian and mil-spec buffer tubes are different (material and milled)

BTW, any other Colt parts you are looking for?  I will have some for sale soon, including a Colt fire control set, A2 flash hider, charging handle, buffer & spring, original 2 position Colt CAR stock (coated metal), grips, and front handguard cap, front sight tower both preban and post ban with proper M4/flat top marks)...

Edited to say:  Ah ha! I found the thread concerning 6 pos Colt stocks, and perhaps the sources mentioned have the 4 position -
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=167629&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one of my Colt M4 ribbed stocks. I removed the rear sling swivel and added the GGG side sling adapter.
[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/6766Coltm4_II_b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/6766Coltm4_II_a.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top