Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2003 7:34:28 PM EDT
I currently have a BM 20" heavy barel upper reciever with the standard A2 front sights and standard handguards.  I want to switch to free floawing handguards but retain the stock look(thats why I choose the DCM handguards).  I'm pretty sure I have to remove the front sight inorder to get the tube over my barrel(I believe its one piece).  If so how hard is it to remove the front sight w/o messing up the finish on it and how would I reindex the front sight to maintain the same accuracy that I currently have? Also how hot will the DCM handguards get compaired to the standard handguards?  

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on AR15's this is my first AR and I baught the upper already built and just put the lower together my self.  Thanks for your time and help.

-William Rasche
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing; don't get the BM DCM tube, It blows and is a pain to install and is flimsy .

Second thing; most DCM tubes reguire U to remove the sling swivel and grind off the swivel studs on the front sight base to clear the swivel that is attached to the front of the free float tube. This is a very permanent mod ! RRA and Armalite tubes are this way.

Third; You will need a barrel wrench that will fit free float tubes plus recvr blocks, punches,grease,locktite and a vice etc.

I would recommend getting or looking at the DPMS DCM tubes, at least with the older version you can use the standard gas tube and they're a little lighter weight wise and the swivel studs don't have to be removed from front sight base. PLus there a similiar design as the RRA/Arma tube and easier to install.
 If you don't have the tools it would probably be more economical to just send your rifle to DPMS or whoever and have them install the tube for U.
 Removing the front sight isn't hard, just drive the taper pins out . It is already indexed if it is already pinned..
 DCM tubes do not get as hot as standard hand guards.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I am going to go with the DPMS handguards now that you straitened me out [:D]. I have decided to spend the money on the armors wrench and the action blocks and do the job my self (I take pride in it).  And also this way I will have the tools for further jobs.  

P.S. will the BM heavy duty armors wrench work on the DPMS free floting tubes or will I have to get a different one?

Thanks again for the help.

-William
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The BM combination wrench should work.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top