Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 3:38:06 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

Here is what I got, I noticed on one of my Colts last night that when I hand cycle ammo thru the gun, the firing pin is leaving small marks on the back of the primers.

Is this normal? I have seen this in the past on other guns and I have never had a problem with this one. But, I just don't like this very much. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Please help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT Come on guys, I need your help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This is common - just be sure that you clean the bolt and firing pin very well of any carbon build up and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's normal, and is nothing to worry about. Since the firing pin has no spring, when the bolt closes, it still moves forward enough to contact the primer. Due to the firing pins' low mass and short travel, it only has just enough momentum to make that little dimple in the primer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
That is normal, and like was said before, there is not enough pressure on the pin to fire the primer. You cannot move the firing pin forward enough unless the bolt is locked in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx guys, Do you think a titanium firing pin would leave an even smaller mark? I think they weight less?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top