Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
I will be building my first AR soon and was wondering whether to chamber it in .223 or 5.56 NATO? Can someone give me the advantages of one over the other. Also, what lowers match best with the model 1 sales kits? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifle or carbine are you building?  

Match or benchrest - Go with a .223 and 1/9 or 1/8 twist.

SHTF or fighting - Go with 5.56 NATO, 4150 steel and 1/7 twist and fully chromelined.

Basically the 5.56 NATO chamber will allow you to shoot the hotter loaded Mil-Spec ammo and be more reliable with a wider range of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
lots to read; [url]ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
To give a little different view on it, go to [url]www.armalite.com[/url], and look up "TECHNICAL NOTE 45:  5.56 NATO vs SAAMI .223 Remington Chambers"

(edited to make the link hot)
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys for the replies, I will be going Nato because this is not going to be a match rifle. I dont want to risk not being able to fire cheaper Nato rounds. Now I just need to know what lower will match up with a model 1 CAR.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have fired 5.56 NATO ammo in my .223 chambered rifles for many years.  Not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lots to read; [url]ammo-oracle.com[/url]
View Quote

--------

Great link, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, they quote a lot of SAAMI stuff, which does NOT address firing 5.56 Nato in .223 AR15's.  It is mostly about not using 5.56 NATO in OTHER .223 rifles.

I am not convinced.  And THOUSANDS of people have fired 5.56 ammo in their .223 rifles without problems.  In fact, I don't know of anyone having a problem.

Most of what IS discussed is that MATCH CHAMBERS are tighter, but this is not necessarily headspace per se.  Semis have looser chambers to allow good functioning with full length resized brass.  This is just the opposite of a match shooter with his bolt gun, who will neck size only.  Yes, try neck sizing only and I guarantee you will not have smooth funcionting in your AR15.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, what lowers match best with the model 1 sales kits? Thanks
View Quote

Eagle Arms by Armalite is dard near a perfect match with my Model 1.  Bought mine from Quantico, $100.

[url=http://users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz/]See Photos[/url]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh here we go with this old nonsense. I have fired both for years. Go ahead and rip my head off for this but guess what????

5.56 & .223.....no difference

7.62 & .308....no difference

Think what you want and read all the nonsense you want.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh here we go with this old nonsense. I have fired both for years. Go ahead and rip my head off for this but guess what????

5.56 & .223.....no difference

Think what you want and read all the nonsense you want.
View Quote

The cartridges themselves may be dimensionally identical but the NATO spec ammo is loaded to higher velocities and the NATO chambers have a longer throat than .223 SAAMI chambers.

Many times there will be no issues firing 5.56 in .223 chambers but there are also a lot of times when it won't work properly.

Just something to think about...
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Would everybody that has  blown up a .223 chambered rifle while shooting 5.56 NATO ammo, please raise their hands?  No, not stories of "My brother's co-workers nephew heard it from a guy he knows..." type stuff.  Have YOU had a problem with this?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would everybody that has  blown up a .223 chambered rifle while shooting 5.56 NATO ammo, please raise their hands?  No, not stories of "My brother's co-workers nephew heard it from a guy he knows..." type stuff.  Have YOU had a problem with this?

Anyone?
View Quote

blowing up isn't generally the problem - it's cases failing to extract.  The pressure difference is a nominal 10% between 5.56 NATO and SAAMI spec commercial .223.  That's not enough to blow up a rifle in good condition, as they're made to withstand the occasional PROOF round at 75% to 100% over max pressure.

But, pressure can lead to extraction problems which can then lead to further functioning problems.  If you happen to be a reloader, bulged brass can be a bitch to work with.

Firing hot 5.56 in a tight .223 match chamber probably will NOT blow up in your face (at least the first couple hundred to couple thousand times you do it) unless you bought a total piece of junk for a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Never seen one blow, but I've seen several FTEs.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top