Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2003 6:48:34 AM EDT
I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to firearms. I've shot friends guns (various 22's, a .50 cal rifle) at the range before, but only recently have I decided to get licensed and purchase my own. I've just completed my Firearms Safety course (required in Mass.) and I am awaiting my Class B LTC. Since the lower receiver is considered the actual firearm, is it possible for me to purchase the J&T/Model 1/M&A kit BEFORE I get my LTC and then get the receiver after? Or must I wait until my LTC arrives and then purchase everything? I'm very impatient if you couldn't tell, and would love to get a jump start on the assembly process. Plus, waiting for the lower receiver will give me time to get aquainted with the rifle first. Anyone have any advice? J
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, there are no restrictions of any kind on ordering kits (I know this is true for most states, but am not sure about the liberal CA, NJ etc).  Kits are considered parts and you can order them whenever you want to.  I guess there would be excepthions in some states in the case of hi cap mags, and of course, don't have any full auto parts around.  I would check to be sure, as I don't know the laws of MA, but you should be able to get a kit anytime you like.  Anybody from MA that knows for sure?  (better safe than sorry)
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can order your kit while awaiting your lower to jump through all the hoops.  Realisticly though, there is not much to gain by ordering so soon. (other than being able to fondle your parts)  The upper & barrel are completely assembled, all the parts that are unassembled attach to the lower.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate your respnses guys. I realize I can't do much "assembling" without the lower, but it will allow me the time to get a feel for the rest of the rifle goes together and operates. I'd rather have the time to get used to the exact workings/parts of the rifle before I'm tempted with the lower receiver and a few full mags of ammo! Thanks again. J
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not take our word for it...no telling WHAT silly laws the good folks have up there regarding kits and parts.  You're best bet it to check with the same people you have to get your license from [V].  It's a shame you have to worry about it, but better safe than sorry.  Or at least talk to someone from MA who has been there, done that.  

You'll have fun with the kit when you get it..building the lower is pretty easy, the directions on the site here are first rate.  The only real hassle is telling the springs apart...and a good quality kit will help that.  I hear the J&Ts are great, so you should have no problems.  

Roll pin punches and starter punches are handy to have, and the front takedown pin detent tool from brownell's is REALLY handy hehehe.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless your state says you aren't allowed parts, you can certainly have the kit.  The detent isn't a big deal, I popped an allen wrench through the hole so it wouldn't jump out, and applied pressure from the other side when inserting the pin.

The only thing I would recommend is printing up the instructions off this site and reading over them until you are very familiar with them.  A little bathroom reading material perhaps?  Anyway, after I read it over a bunch, the assembly made perfect sense and went without a hitch.

Keep a copy handy when doing the assembly so you can match the springs and pins to the pars diagram.

Post any questions you have.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top