Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 5:39:46 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster AR15 with a scope mounted. I need a flash suppressor to eliminate the flash in the scope, especially in low light conditions. Can somebody help me understand the attributes of different flash suppressors, flash, noise, accuracy. Recomendations welcome. I also notice flash suppressor washers, are they needed?
Can I install it myself?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
After doing some research, there seems to be legal issues with flash suppressors. If anyone would please respond as I would like to some how legally reduce the flash as I use the 15 on deer drives here in Wi. and anything that I could do to reaquire a running deer would be helpful. thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your gun a preban or post ban rifle? Was the gun built before or after Sept 13, 1994?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
There are screw-on killflash attachments available for scopes which help filter out the flash.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't find a date, but I believe it is a post ban Bushmaster XM15 E2S 16" barrel. I am going to email Bushmaster as they have brakes & suppressors for sale on their website. I will post their response if and when I get one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Simmons scope on it but replaced it with a good quality Leopold and will sight it in this weekend. If I don't get an answer from Bushmaster I will definately look into scope kill-flash attachments. Thanks for the replies Boom & Raptor
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are screw-on killflash attachments available for scopes which help filter out the flash.
View Quote

Those aren't really meant to eliminate flash from your barrel, they are designed to eliminate the flash reflection of your optics (from the sun/illumination) which will give away your position to the enemy.  You will still see the flash straight forward but I suppose it would reduce angle glare somewhat.

If you have a post-ban, then you are screwed as far as flash hiders go.  If not, I highly recommend the Vortex by Smith Enterprises, I have yet to see a more effected Flash hider other than a silencer.

Flash hiders should not effect sound much, and accuracy depends on the design, symmetry, and exit face.  There are several kinds of washers but I usually see the old style and the newer crush washers which I like because they allow more range in case you are trying to orientate the flash hider more or less.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
AK_Mike, a killflash is used to reduce perceived muzzle flash in darkness through the scope and a sunshade is used to shield optics from sunlight during the day.  I was pretty sure that 2short had a postban and that served the basis for my advice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps I am referring to something else.  I have literature for a kill flash for a scope, and another for binoculars (which there is no muzzle flash) that have a hex like pattern and ensure that no reflection off the glass is seen by the enemy.  A sunshade is to prevent glare affecting your vision through the optic.  The kill flash I have for my reflex is just a honeycomb which would only prevent a glare type flash (high incidence angle), and in use does nothing about the muzzle flash which is at a low angle.  Perhaps the term "kill flash" is being misused?  Even the anti-reflection device on my reflex optics is called a "Kill Flash"...

Edited to say:  I just checked Trijicon's website for a definition of their Tenebrax (sp?) "Kill Flash" and it says what I thought - an anti-reflection device.  It would be silly to try to eliminate muzzle flash on the optic when that is what flash hiders are for, and much more effective and available for most military guns.  However, it is still possible you ran across such a device and they used the same term others use for an anti-reflection device...
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
AK_Mike, you are right.  Anyway, a postban with a 16" unmuzzled barrel is going to produce one hell of a fireball at night.  2short, maybe an AK74 style muzzle brake would deflect enough of the flash to the sides to reduce the flash in the line of sight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't find a date, but I believe it is a post ban Bushmaster XM15 E2S 16" barrel. I am going to email Bushmaster as they have brakes & suppressors for sale on their website. I will post their response if and when I get one.
View Quote

A brake would be legal for you, the suppressors would not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's see: 1) using a 16" AR for deer (must be small deer), 2) low light situation (night?), and 3) an expensive Leopold scope on a 16" barrel (how long a shot is expected?). Why not use a .30-30 or .30-06 and the headlights from the pickup truck while jacking deer like all the other poachers?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
           Serial number ******* was sold 1-17-96 as a rifle which makes it a post ban rifle. The Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 prohibits that a flash suppressor be attached to the rifle.
           With different powders in use today muzzle flash can be controlled by the ammunition used. This ammunition review http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/_223_reviews.html lists commercial ammunition as to flash. You might try samples of different ammunition to see if it will make a difference in the flash.
           Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, I practice QDM and spend more energy bowhunting than rifle. I do sit the first 2 days of rifle season and use a 7mm BAR. I have gotten a deer with the XM15, but my intentions are to use it only for deer drives, mostly doe's. Our average 2 1/2 yr old buck usually weigh about 200lbs.  A couple of years ago I had a deer go cross country on me at the end of the drive, I got about 12 shots off at him, with my buddy's laughing their asses off, and to tell you the truth, that was probably the most fun shooting I've had in over thirty yrs of deer hunting. There was a problem when I shot though, that Simmons scope has a small eye relief and I kept loosing the full field of veiw as I was shooting. That along with some muzzle flash I'm trying to adress before this season. I just switched the Leopold off my M1A with my Simmons, one down one to go. If I get a good buck in the headlights I try ro get a picture. That was funny though. I will contact Bushmaster on the muzzl brake.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
As Raptor_22 said, the AK brake from Bushmaster does a great job of redirecting flash straight to the sides, and it also has the benefit of keeping muzzle climb down, too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Bushmaster Reply:
           Most all muzzle brakes will increase the flash signature as they work by redirecting the muzzle gases. We have just received approval from BATF for a new muzzle brake that we will be offering soon that looks like the Phantom flash suppressor http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/yhm-29.asp with a closed end. While acceptable to BATF as not being a flash suppressor in the strictest sense it has the least flash signature I have seen with a muzzle brake.
           I do not have a specific date of when they will be available but I would say between 4 to 6 weeks lead time for manufacture of them.
           Thank you.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top