Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 7:47:42 AM EDT
I just finished my first build using a J&T kit on a Eagle Arms lower.  I had a question about the rear sight.  Looking at it from the top it slants to the left slightly.  It seems to be spring loaded. When I align it with the carry handle it springs back to the left.  Is this normal?  I never noticed it on other AR's.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
On my Bushmaster upper, Colt upper and RRA Tactical carry handle, the cant is very little as the gap between the handle and sight base is very small. Having said this, I have two OLY uppers which have a bigger gap and the slant/cant is more pronounced. Funny you should ask about this because I have been thinking about drilling the sight base and installing another spring and ball on the opposite side of the base to offset the cant. A local gunsmith welds a small bead on the sight base to straighten the sight up. Armalite in there FAQ sections has a section about rear sight cant. I don't believe Armalite would let an upper out that had a cant as pronounced as my oly uppers! The oly uppers sights are canted too much albeit the 1993 upper is better than the 1988 upper.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you noticed it affecting accuracy?  If not I won't worry about it.  Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Because it is canted so much, I beleive it would on my Oly uppers. I have since replaced one of the oly upper with a RRA upper. I haven't decided yet wether to weld a small bead on the sight base to "jack" the sight base back around torwards the right, or use the second spring method, or just replace the crappy oly a2 upper. Lazydog there is no easy answer here, I guess it depends on how much gap between the upper handle and sight base you have. The older upper I have has almost enough gap between the left side of the carry handle and sight base that you can stick a dime in. To me that is too much. I guess I could measure it with a feeler gauge and give you a reading. The FAQ at Armalite never gives inch specs about the gap, but I never  have seen an Armalite rifle with the gap as big as my old Oly. HTH  AMOS
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top