Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2003 7:58:19 AM EDT
Does anyone know the weight of a fixed telestock, and an RRA tac entry stock (both with internal parts)?
Many thanks,
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's all the info you could want regarding AR part/component weight:

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/weightinformation.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Allrighty:
BM fixed telestocks- .54 lbs
Another source for fixed stocks came back at 13 oz (.81 lbs)
Thanks for the site- there is a world of info there. It doesn't have the weight for the Tac Entry stock... can anybody lend a hand?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Hobbit, I wanted to start a weight database...but didn't realize the MD AR15 shooters had a lot of info on that.  Anyway, here's what I have:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=165647&w=searchPop[/url]

Mine Model 1 Kit LE buttstock assembly weighed 8 1/2oz.  What I'd REALLY like to know is what a complete Cav Arms lower weighs...I think the one on the MD site is stipped.  Anyway, good luck...I'm in the same boat...I'm trying to build a sub 5lb rifle...that still shoot lol.  Feel free to share any interesting tidbits with us.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Fenian-
I visited your earlier thread several times while doing the research for this rifle. Thanks for your earlier postings/questions.
Since you said Model One kit with LE stock, it looks like we're trying to do the same thing. Were you looking at this setup?
16 inch lightweight CAR
CAR handguards
A3/picatinny gas block
LE Tac Entry stock

What's you opinion of the Tac stock? Most people say that it's too short to use w/o body armor, but I was going to try to mount an OKO (2.3 ounces) as far forward as possible to get good eye relief.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Hobbit,

Yeah, that's the model 1 setup I'm eyeballing now...although I just ordered a DPMS .308LR, so funds are tight hehehe.

The shorty stock is at the point of personal preference (aliteration, anyone)...I guess the majority of folks think it too short, but I've shot it like that...if I were in any sort of tactical use situation, it might be ok...you can put it in your chest, either in the middle, or out a little bit towards your arm, but it's kinda tough to do a normal rifle hold and still get a comfortable feel wearing a tee shirt.  

Now, if you had thick coat, or something like that, it would be good for that.  Also, I found the recoil and blast effect of shooting the rifle much more prounounced  than normal...I don't think that little buffer and spring soak up nearly as much of the recoil as the regular length tube.  And having your face that close to the charging handle with the enhanced recoil is much different than shooting the same rifle with a longer stock.  

I had no problems using my Holosight, with the rifle in the positions I described...quick, clear sight picture.  

As for the Model 1 buttstock itself, it's little on the cheap side, in terms of material.  Not hideous, but not as nice of a material when compared to my Armalite or Eagle stocks.  

It's the kind of think you *might* want to see beforehand...see if you can find anyone in your area that has one to scope out first.

BTW, in my database, I guess I didn't weight the complete lower with the stock on...I can do that tonight when I get home from work.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
DENIED! My little 2lb postal scale was done in by both complete lowers...the LE one and the ARFX one...sorry...can't report on what the full lower weight is.  I'll have to go to plan B...as soon as I get one that is!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the LE stock is FAR to short for any reg use... however, you can put an extender on the the stock as a friend of mine did and then a slip on buttstock recoil pad... this lenghten the stock about 2-4 inches still shorter then an A1 and still light weight.

also the new pencil barrel from bushy is quite nice.
kkj
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI, I got my Model 1 kit built...it is indeed VERY light.  I weighed the LE buttstock after I removed it to put the CAR stock on the lower...it's 1lb with the buffer/spring...around 11oz by itself. Note that this is the Model 1 LE stock, not the RRA.

I also weighed the CAR stock, but now I can't remember what it was...DAMNIT...I should written it down lol.  I *think* I figured out that the LE buttstock is lighter by an ounce or so, that's about it.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool! Do you have the ability to post pictures?
-Hobbit

Edit:
Just saw the other thread- very nice rifle. Did you ever mount the Tac Entry stock?

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hobbit, I had the LE stock on the lower, so when I got the kit, I put the upper on with that buttstock.  It was as light, at least, as the config you see in the picture, but I ended up putting the CAR stock on, since I ordered the rifle with green furniture.  

I have a set of black CAR handguards, and I could snag my M4 handguards back from my buddy if I really wanted to...so I could change it back to all black down the road.  

The rifle handles great, but I had problems with it...I think the gas block is out of position, because the action is not cycling at all after I fire a round...the bolt carrier moves about 2 millimeters, then just stops.  I've gotta call Model 1 tomorrow and see what they say..I'm sure it's minor.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top