Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2003 4:59:14 PM EDT
Am new to this forum and am thinking of building my first AR style rifle.This will probally be my only one and would like for it to say "Colt" on it,however most do not talk of builing on a Colt lower and there is a substancial price difference in the two.So my questions I guess would be if money were no object would you use the Colt lower.And second...as I am new to this field I have seen talk of different pin sizes and such,If I buy the Colt lower will one of the kits from Model 1,JT,or such go together with it without extras.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
A RRA lower would make a great rifle.
Go for it!

~ s0ulzer0

BTW - Welcome to ARFCOM! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Am new to this forum and am thinking of building my first AR style rifle.This will probally be my only one and would like for it to say "Colt" on it,however most do not talk of builing on a Colt lower and there is a substancial price difference in the two.So my questions I guess would be if money were no object would you use the Colt lower.And second...as I am new to this field I have seen talk of different pin sizes and such,If I buy the Colt lower will one of the kits from Model 1,JT,or such go together with it without extras.
View Quote

If it's gotta say 'colt', get the colt lower. Most of us that are building are own want to do so because we can customize and do so for less money than starting with a fully-taxed rifle. My personal opinion is that when you start looking at optics that cost more than the rifle did, and a $200/month ammo habit, you'll wish you went with the $90-$100 stinger, EA or RRA lower.

I don't think Colt is still using a different size pin. Go with J&T over Model 1 (my 0.02)

Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The hammer & trigger pins on the Colt are "oversized" and different than everyone else.  If you are building one save the money and buy a RRA, Mega or Eagle Arms lower from the Equipment Exchange.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If money was no object, I would buy a JP Rifle, hands down. In wild colors, too.

If you want a Colt, then I don't think anything short of a Colt Preban ready to rock n' roll factory gun is going to soothe your wants. It's ok- they are very cool.

JMO, but BUILDING from a Colt lower is like $100 designer bluejeans. You want to shoot it, or look at it?

There are tons of great inexpensive lowers. I would get a MEGA lower in a flash, if the FFL thing was not such a hassle. I have a couple RRA, they are very very nice, too. And yes, that RRA match trigger is worth the $100!!!

Besides, you are only going to get ONE AR rifle- so buy the Colt preban, and build up another on a Mega lower. Then you can figure out what you want for your third!

Pete
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys.....I think I will start out building with one of the lower priced lowers and put a little back a bit off money and perhaps get a Colt pre-ban for X-mas
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I HAVE A ROCK RIVER ARMS LOWER RECIEVER WITH A J&T M-4 PARTS KIT. THE FIT AND FINISH OF MY RIFLE IS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN THAT OF MY FRIENDS THAT OWN COLTS. MY RIFLE WAS $200-$300 LESS THAN THIERS AND IS JUST AS RELIABLE AS ANY AR RIFLE MADE.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with RRA-Bushmaster, or one of the other clones before building a Colt. Unless they have changed things The fire control parts are large pin bastard size and the lower uses a screw type front pivot instead of a push style pivot pin like 99% of all other manufactures (and like the ones colt supplies to the military). I have heard rumors that the new commercial colts will have the push pin front pivot-but you never know unless you ask when ordering one from a dealer, it may be NOS. If you do get a screw style front pivot, you are screwed if you ever decide to buy another upper with different barrel length, as you will have to buy an adapter pin/bushing to swap out to 99% uppers that are on the market. Even if you go to a Colt upper, it takes several minutes with screwdrivers to change the uppers and if out in the field, you have loose parts. IMHO, it is a pain in butt to clean an upper while it is still attached to a lower unless you use a cradle. I am always afraid of doing damage to lower at the weak pivot point while cleaning the barrel. With a front push pivot pin, you can seperate the lower and upper in seconds with no loose parts and or special tools. Clone lower with Front pivot push pin means easier to clean, better availability of replacement parts (Cheaper too), and better selection of easy fitting of assembled uppers which you will be purchasing after building your rifle. Trust me, if you have a 20" upper, you will buy a 16" carbine upper sooner or later-it is a sickness.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top