Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 8:27:23 PM EDT
Where in the hell do you get them?  I went to Home Depot and walmart and they don't have them.  I had to improvise putting them on my lower.  thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my first set from Home Depot a few months ago.  I somehow lost them when I was re-organizing my shop and bought a new set from Brownells.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I got mine at local hardware stores, Sears due to replacement incentive. For the odd sized ones and odd located ones try this sight.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/gasnuts.cfm

They have one for the gas tube roll pin and another for the bolt catch pin that has a flat on one side for clearance. Thay also have some nylon pin punches and their prices are resonable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Got mine from Midway

[url=www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/191653]Roll Pin Punches[/url]

Put 3 together so far, no probs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a Grainger Supply near you, they have a nice set, I believe it was $13.  I couldn't find them in any of the local hardware stores.  Seems to be hit or miss with them, but Grainger does have 'em....
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This exact thread is running somewhere here, a bunch of replies... visit the Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell tool trucks that stop at the auto repair facilities.  I have Snap-On and Matco punches, 1 set from each truck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.  Good info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
For assembly, I have taken old dental tools and cut them down so they just fit inside a small roll pin, you can then drive & control the start of a roll pin without any rocking or cocking...It is important that the tools have square driving shoulders..You could make a set easy in a lathe, using tool steel and wire gauge drills for the pin stock ... works really well for the holdopen roll pin, and the gas tube pin! Just an idea, I've been using for years! till...later...GT
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using nail punches and a vise grip, it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've assembled all of ONE lower. I didn't use any punches at all.

I wrapped the lower jaw of a medium sized channel-lock pliers with masking tape. The pins are then carefully squeezed or pressed in to place. Tidy! The one on the side for the bolt release was a snap. Lined up by eye, then squeeze.

A regular punch would have been handy for lining up the hammer, under spring tension. I used an allen key- I have a set that fit in to screwdriver handles, and these get kludged in to all kinds of service. My secret is out- I'm a hack!

It's the getting the pins out that you need the roll pin punches for! I'll probably get mine from Midsouth (www.midsouthshooters.com) next time I make a big order. They have always been great for me- with consistently low prices.

Pete
I did get the front sight pin punch from ADCO- I'm trying to put off the cussing and banging I hear tell of. This little punch looks like the thing, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Got mine at Wal-Mart, right next to the socket sets and hammers. $9 for 5 punches.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked one up at a gun show for $4. [:)]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top