Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2003 4:03:55 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals,

I am just about finished building my first AR15. The last thing left on my list that hasn't been ordered, is the barrel.

I have read just about every post on barrels here, but still need more info. The barrels I have in mind are the Krieger 20" 1:7.75 Single Cut ( twice cryo-ed and lapped), the Les Baer 20" 1:8 Broach Cut (once cryo-ed).

I hear that these two companies make the best barrels. Does any one have any "REAL" experience with these barrels??
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
hello i have built one ar and am putting together a list for the secound, wich i want a 1/2 moa out of and eveerything i have come up with is the lapped barrell kreiger wich is what is on my list. and a 2lb jard triger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI... I'm looking for a barrel that can shoot 1/4 to 1/2 MOA [red]with[/red] Factory Ammo. I plan on reloading to further fine tune the barrel. But the first obsticle is the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I would, and did, go with the Oly SUM.  The other barrels are great, but the SUM fits everything for me.  I'm not sure you will get much to shoot 1/4 with factory, unless you are testing a lot of different factory loads.  Everyone I know who expects 1/4 groups expects special loadings.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 24" Kreiger barreled upper  
& it's way more accurate than I am

easy dime sized 3 shot groups at 100yrds

barrels & uppers available here
[url]www.metalcraft-ar15.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.ar15barrels.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a 6.5mm Krieger barrel on a 1000yd benchrest rifle - had no regrets. I have never heard anyone say they got a bad one.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Barry at Metalcraft is just great and gives great service and quality.
Does anybody have any experience with AR15barrels? Looks great, but who is it? I'm real tempted by a .17 Stainless 20".....
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
You might take a look at Wilson's match grade barrels. I bought one from RRA and installed it myself. With my handloads (69 gr. 75 gr. or 77 gr.) is regularly shoots less than 1/2 moa. It's about 1/2 the cost of the other barrels you mention.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Lilja, Kreiger, Hart...all make good barrels.

Do a google search on each of the above names.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am just about finished building my first AR15. The last thing left on my list that hasn't been ordered, is the barrel.
View Quote

don't forget  [url]www.shilen.com[/url]

and there located in Ennis TX.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
cnatra:
 Shilen... at least there site appears not to have a barrel for the AR... I'l try to contact them later...  Also ... Now I'm really confused [whacko].. Shilen claims that Cryo has no benefit to the barrel... [argue] ... while everyone else has scientific fact that proves that it does...

nvcdl:
  What are your 1000yds group sizes??? I was thinking of getting another rifle after i finish with this one???

All:
   Thanks... everyone for resopnding... I think I will go with my first choice... the Krieger, unless someone tells me that they had one blow up in thier face or any other persuading fact...

One last question (I think)... Who has the best price for the Krieger??? Or should I get it directly from the manufacture???

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
cnatra:
 Shilen... at least there site appears not to have a barrel for the AR... I'l try to contact

think I will go with my first choice... the Krieger, unless someone tells me that they had one blow up in thier face or any other persuading fact...

One last question (I think)... Who has the best price for the Krieger??? Or should I get it directly from the manufacture???
View Quote

I'm 90% sure [url]www.vandenbergcustom.com[/url] uses Shilen for most of his rifles including AR's, he's in the Houston area.

You can't go wrong with Krieger !

Barry at [url]www.metalcraft-ar15.com[/url] sells Kriegers with his custom stainless gas block ready to go in 18-26" lengths, that's what I have. I'm pretty sure he gets the blanks & turns them down on a lathe himself so he could probably make whatever you want.

[url]www.compasslake.com[/url] has an excellent reputation for customizing AR's & they use Krieger barrels.

Clint McKee of [url]www.fulton-armory.com/Barrels2.htm[/url] uses Krieger barrels on his custom AR15's,
M1A's & Garand's

[url]www.kriegerbarrels.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
cnatra:
 Shilen claims that Cryo has no benefit to the barrel... [argue] ... while everyone else has scientific fact that proves that it does...

View Quote

Sources please.

There may be benefits but they never have been demonstrated by "Xs" or extended barrel life at the range.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah yes, the dreaded cryo-issue.  Read what Armalite says about Cryo in their Technical updates located on their web-site/
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top