Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2003 8:06:12 AM EDT
I'm gonna be building a lightweight rifle in the near future.  I just weighed all the loose parts I have...I think it would be good for all of us considering a light rifle to be able to know beforehand what each piece weighs.  

Here's what I have so far, in ounces:
CAR Handguards 3.5
20" Handguards 7
LE Buttstock 8.5
A2 Buttstock 18
Stripped A3 Upper 7.25
Full Lower w/short tube/buffer/hogue grip 24
Car Standard Float Tube 8.5
Chopped Carry Handle Rear Sight 4.5
Bolt, carrier, ch. handle  12.5
ARMS #40 1.85
ARMS #22 High Ring w/1" insert 5
Upper Parts 1.5
Delta Ring Assembly 1.5

If any of you folks are interested, weigh the bits and pieces you've got...and if you want, email 'em to me, and I'll update my spreadsheet, then post it.  

If anyone has a Cav Arsm lower around, either with or without parts, that would be cool.  Also, a stripped lower with no parts, and barrel assemblies, or anything else you think would be helpful.  Something like this could be useful to a lot of folks.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, using my weight matrix, I'm at 3.75 lbs. without the barrel assembly.  That's using the LE buttstock, the upper and lower are complete, all I need is the barrel assembly.  I've included the # 40, so I can actually hit my target.  

So, if anyone has a barrel assembly (minus handguards) laying around, how 'bout weighing it for me?  Then I'll know pretty much what a finish rifle will weigh.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at this:

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/weightinformation.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a few numbers to add to your database;

Stripped 20" A2 barrel (light under the guards/heavy in front), WITHOUT barrel extension) = 30.5 oz

Standard barrel extension = 2.0 oz

Front sight base (with bayonet lug, front sight post, spring, and detent) = 5.5 oz

Standard birdcage flash hider = 2.0 oz.

Complete 20" A1 "pencil" barrel assembly WITH barrel extension, barrel nut, front handguard cap, front sight base, and sling swivel, but WITHOUT flash hider, handguards, and delta ring assembly = 34.5 oz.

HTH . . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks, man, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for...I want to know what that lightweight barrel weighs...now I can combine it with the Cav Arms lower and know pretty much what I'll have in terms of weight.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top