Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
OK I've narrowed it down to Two or three types of AR's (RRA,J&T,and in a distant third bush master. I only have 300.00 to start with then another 200.00 in a month or two and then about 100.00 a month after that. what I want is a 24inch bull barrel AR capable of min 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds and later when I start hand loading ammo 1/4 inch groups. I will mainly be shooting only paper so I figured 1x8 to 1x10 will work.
If I build it I need to decide which parts to buy first and what I need in them. A stripped lower and then a parts kit will run almost 175 ordered separately and that does'nt include the recoil tube and but stock.However if I order a complete lower for around 215 then I will have to change the trigger and but stock out later in order to build the gun I want. To save money what would you recommend? buying a complete upper, lower, all separately or all together?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a stinger lower for 80 bucks- forged and made well, good finish then the parts kit(look around though u can find VERY good prices)
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
2G,
Initially, I would have told you to save your dollars untill you could buy an excellent used rig. Cash talks! If, in the meantime you have a problem,you have some cash to fall back on. Knowing how itchy wanting a rifle can be, I would post in the WTB your wants. In the meantime,you could purchase an RRA stripped lower (around $95) or an RRA parts kit($52)and a buttstock assy(usually around $40). This all takes time, but can be done really reasonable.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
2G,
Initially, I would have told you to save your dollars untill you could buy an excellent used rig. Cash talks! If, in the meantime you have a problem,you have some cash to fall back on. Knowing how itchy wanting a rifle can be, I would post in the WTB your wants. In the meantime,you could purchase an RRA stripped lower (around $95) or an RRA parts kit($52)and a buttstock assy(usually around $40). This all takes time, but can be done really reasonable.
Good luck!
View Quote

I'll second that!! Especially buying the RRA parts. Plus it seems to be more rewarding "building" your own rifle. Go with the RRA. I think CMMG has everything you'll need, plus they are good people to work with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I was lazy with my first build, it took me nearly 7 months from the time I picked up my reciever to the time I lugged it to the range. I went to shows here and there and picked out what I needed. In total everthing cost me around $600, and thats built on a Bushy lower.

The hardest part for me was the barrel instllation, having never done one before, but all in all it went together nicely.

I hear good things about RRA, I'll have to look into them for my next project.

Tropic
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Good feed back guys .But I am still undicided.This bis what I have found so far.
lets take a dealer like Adco there is'nt any bad feed back that I can find about them and there shipping $4.00 flat rate is sweet.I can order a stripped lower about $100.00 parts kit $50.00 and then standard but stock 40.00 plus three seprate charges for shuipping $12.00 .Total is $202.00 or I can order a complete upper shipped for $214.00. Then there's the  trigger because I will defanatly want a match trigger, so do I order a NM lower for about 300 or buy it later. Then there's the upper,do I buy a built upper or build my own?of corse a complete gun can be had for $900.00 with the NM trigger ,floating hand guard and some realy good features but it still got some things I would want to change.
which is more accuarte a RRA 24 inch BB or a J&T 24inch BB.I do'nt want anyone to bad mouth either company just tell me if you know of an equal test of both and who was better?I ,ve pretty much settled on those two makers and might lean to J&T because of money but If RRA is just a  bit more accurate I would probably go with them.They both use mill spec parts?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Price out a RRA 24" upper and separate NM lower. If you want a good trigger, I can't find better bang for the buck. I have had good experiences with Steve@adco, also.

I suggest buying the lower first. While you are saving up your money, keep an eye on the Equipment Exchange. You might find a deal, if you are ready to jump. Good deals last about 20 minutes, it seems.

If that doesn't work out, the 24" RRA is a rock solid backup plan. I have one. I'm still learning the gun, and loads DO matter.

Mine spits Winchest Q313a at 2.25" at 100 yards (doesn't like it), but 26.5 grains of Varget under Sierra 52g match king... 5 shots all completely hidden by a US quarter at 100 yards. 3 sets of 5, same results. That's sub-moa, not "seems like sub-moa."

I like my RRA NM lower. I like Adco. I like $4 shipping.

Only problem with buying the gun in 2 parts is you have not paid the 11% Federal Tax. If you ever sell the completed gun, you owe the feds. So.... a) Never sell a nice gun, b) sell the upper and lower separately. Right?

Pete

p.s. My Dad shoots Cowboy Action. He was not sure about my black rifle. We went shooting Sunday. It took him a fair bit to figure out the scope. He kept shooting and shooting, getting more and more depressed. He couldn't see his bullet holes. "Dang!" he says. "I can't miss the paper THAT many times!"

We walk 100 yards down, and he's got 5 in the black, 1.5" bullseye. Just to make sure, he did it again.

Dad put those targets in his pocket. The old eyes might not be what they once were, and his hands might be shaking a bit more, but the old guy can still shoot! This one day was worth the whole price of the rifle to me.

Pete
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like a RRA 24 inch BB upper but I probably can't find on for less than 400.00:(

I could probably build one for about 400.00
but then I got to buy the right tools about 75.00

If I knew the J&T upper was as accurate I would probably go that route.

Here's a trick for the old man. First set your scope off paper then set a target up, put a little hole in the center and sit back and watch him Wow! at what he did.

I will probably buy the barreled. upper first as it cost more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy the lower first, as the trigger is non-negotiable, JMO.

It is really unlikely, IMO, that anyone is going to sell a nice lower with a better than OK  trigger in it.

On the other hand, I see lots of good barrels going through the E.E.- either as uppers or in parts.

Would you settle for a 20" RRA bull barrel, or a 24" Bushmaster? Sure- good uppers. Opportunity awaits the prepared mind.

Put a bad trigger on a good upper? Ick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to stay with the 24 inch as accuarcy is my first concern in my price range that is.I would love to find a Bushmaster 24 inch A3 type upper but I have about given up on that idea as just the barrel is 350.However If I knew the barrel capable if 1/4 MOA with box ammo I would probably just buy the barrel then build the upper a little at a time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
i have recently built a post ban car from model one sales and used the stinger arms lower the lower went together nice and i geeet about 1 and 1/2" group at 100 yards with blackhills remanufactureed ammo,and the cost was 525 dollars i am going to build the bull barrell target model next.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top