Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2003 7:45:37 PM EDT
Okay, planning my next build...some more democraticly inspired deficit spending lol.  

It goes without saying I need a lightweight/pencil/government contour barrel.  Out of those, which is the lightest?  

Can I assume the LE stubby style buttstock is the lightest?  My reasoning is less mass than anything else, so it's gotta be close.  

How about uppers and lowers?  I would imagine they're all the same, but maybe there's something I don't know about.  

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm...forgot about them.  I was actually gonna do a build on one of those at one point...Brownell's has 'em for $120, but then there's that pesky $20 transfer fee...but I guess you save on not having to buy the buttstock.  So I guess all you need is the parts kit, and the buffer and spring, right?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered a lightweight bbl complete upper from M&A parts, Bill said it was about 1/2 lb. lighter than other configurations. The weight reduction comes from reducing the profile both under the handguard and out to the muzzle. I'll post some pics of the rifle when I finish building it so you can see what it looks like.

JayCeeNC
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pd3ef1ce34e92becd686fc71d969ff0e1/fc479066.jpg[/img]

Heres my lightweight, it uses BUshmaster Superlight barrel, DPMS lo-pro upper (so ya dont have the added OZ. of the brass deflector, forward assist, or dustguard) plus being flat top ya dont have the weight of the carry handle, and Ace skeleton stock, i think it is pretty light. Over all my AR weighs around 5lbs maybe a lil more, The barrel is pencil thin all the way back. But i must tell you, that my next barrel for this rifle will not be this way, the barrel gets hot really fast (like within 10 rounds) and rapid fire will get the barrel smokin, so my next barrel will be FAT under handguards and thin past the front site post.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the ACE skeleton stock.  It is much lighter and feels pretty dawm good too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Aimless, dealer price from Brownell's on the Cav Arms lower is $120.  If you've got a C&R license, send it in to save some $$.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top