Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2003 10:06:03 AM EDT
Well I finally was able to run some rounds through my J&T Lightweight Tactical kit on a RRA lower:

I only had time to run 20 rounds through it (using a bbl break-in procedure), but functioning was flawless, and the accuracy was starting to shape up... starting to show 2-3" groups.  Not too bad for a carbine with open sights and a so-so trigger at 100 yds.

So far so good!  Now to just find time to go shoot some more...

--Otter
PS - The finish looks bluish in the pic, but is actually very black.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you like the ACE stock? I am getting ready to build and am torn between that and an A-2 trapdoor. I plan to build a carbine with mid-length guards.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#2]
On my J&T Carbine kit, I used A Free Man's 5 Minute Practical Break-in Procedure:

1. Cleaned new rifle before going to the range to remove any stray material.

2. Insert full 30 rnd USGI mag.

3. Point safely downrange.

4. Pull trigger rapidly 30 times.

5. Let cool 5 minutes.

6. Repeat steps 2-5, then proceed to sight in rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Mark1174:

I really like the ACE.  On a carbine, it makes the rifle look more "balanced" to me.  And the length feels good to me, even though I'm on the tall side (6'1"). I've shouldered carbines with the A2, and they felt OK to me as well.  The fake tele-stocks didn't feel that good to me...YMMV.

The ACE is a little lighter & shorter than an A2, which kept with the "light weight & more compact" theme.  Plus I got a helluva good deal on the ACE as an upgrade to the kit through J&T!

A-Free-Man:

Certainly the break-in I was using isn't mandatory, especially with this type of rifle.  But after seeing the results when using that procedure on my stock .300 Win Mag and my 10/22 target bbl, I decided that I'd take the time to do it on any new rifle I obtain.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost forgot to mention!  The kit came with a "Tac Brake" on the 16" bbl...looks like an flashhider, but is just a muzzle brake that supposedly angles the blast away from the shooter.

I hear many on the forum complaining about how loud an AR with a brake is.  It was louder than a 20" bbl w/ no brake, but was not objectionable in the least.  Maybe I'm just used to larger bore centerfires...

--Otter
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, what I do is an extreme function check.  I am getting about 2" at 100 yds sitting at the bench, but just anchoring my elbow, no bipod, with iron sights and old eyes.  I think my J&T CAR is accurate enough for me.

Not at all criticizing you for the shoot-clean shoot-clean break-in.  I am just not that patient, have things to do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
A_Free_Man:

It wasn't taken as critism...no worries!  Sounds like your "tired old eyes" are doing as least as well as my maybe slightly younger eyes are doing though [;)]

Aimless:

Wow...if that's how the AK brake sounds, then the Tac brake must be a lot quieter.  In between my break-in shots with the AR, I was trying to sight in a new scope on my .300 Win Mag.  I guarantee you the .300 provided much more noise & blast (from behind the trigger anyway).  None of my neighbors were complaining, butmaybe they were just being polite [:)]

--Otter
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
"WHATCHA SAY?  I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

So, do I understand correctly that you have a brake on your 7mm Mag then?  What kind is it?  I've been thinking about one for the .300, but not sure which one/if one at all...

Great sig line, by the way.

--Otter
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I am near sighted.  A lot of people don't realize it, but when you use a small peep, glasses aren't needed... the pinhole camera effect.  I have an optomotrist who is also a shooter.  I spoke with him about trouble with iron sights, what can I do for glasses for shooting irons.  He said, take them off.  And demonstrated with a little pinhole thing he had in the office.  Wow!  

Anyway, I am equipping other rifles in the safe with Eotechs.  The J&T is my only A2 upper left among my AR's.  The rest are flattops with either scopes or Eotechs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't realize that either.  So how small of a peep sight are we talking about?

--Otter
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The small peep of the A2 sight blade will do it.  The big hole does not give this effect.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top