Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2003 5:41:15 AM EDT
I used one of those Stinger lowers from the EE, and an A2 kit from J&T.  Every little piece was there, the lower went together without a problem (and without scratching the finish).  The color match between the upper and lower was just about perfect, and there is absolutely no play between the upper and lower - in fact, there's some resistance as you try to take out the takedown pin.  

Special thanks to A_Free_Man for the tip about using vise-grips to put the roll pins in, and everyone else here for the info I got from reading everyone's posts for the last couple months.  Building these things could easily become addicting.  

Here you can see the match between the upper and lower color is very good.

A not-so-good pic of the whole thing.  Remarkably, it looks a lot like an AR-15!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats; you're right about the addicting part...I'm already planning a couple more builds...it's finding the $$ to pay for it all that's the hard part lol.  And where are the pics of your new baby?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll try to remember to borrow the digital camera from work today and get a couple pics up; it's just a regular old A2, but I know people have been looking for pics of builds with the Stinger lowers.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put together my lower this evening and I have only two parts left to complete, both roll pins. Strange that from what Ive read everything else was a piece of cake. Not what I expected.  I didnt have a tool for that front take down pin assembly, but I didnt need it, took me about 10 seconds to do it, I did think about it for about 5 minutes before attempting it, just wanted to be sure how I was going to do it and not let the spring go flying to lord-knows-where. I didnt expect the roll pins to be a challenge, and Ive been wondering all night what to do in the absence of any punches, and I see the suggestion about the vice grips shall be my salvation. Thanks for that little tip!

I also have to agree on the addiction of this hobby. I think its much more enjoyable to build your own rifle. I get more satisfaction out of knowing what goes into the rifle as well as what comes out of it. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Moneyshot, if you haven't done the pins yet, make sure you wrap the jaws of the vise grips with tape.  

BTT wit some pics.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice, fortunately I did think of that myself right before I attempted it. I had some black framing tape  that doesnt leave a residue, and had been using it here and there to cover areas during different parts of the building process to make sure I didnt scratch it. I still have the roll pin for the bolt catch. I cant use the vice grip I have because its too large for this one. Im going to go buy a smaller vice in a bit and try that. What the hell, if it doesnt work, I still  have a new tool I didnt have before and will have now the next time I need it. lol
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks great.  Shot it yet??   Maybe a range report after you shoot it.  I'm sure it will shoot just fine.  It's always real gratifying to get out and shoot an AR that you have put together yourself.  I'm thinking about putting together another one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
It's about time for me to put another one together too. Mine was a J&T kit also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice Job!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]

looks good man!

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
[beer] looks good , dont for get the range report

How about a parts list and end cost.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about a parts list and end cost.
View Quote

Stripped lower - $89.00
FFL fee        -  $8.33 (1/3 of $25; ordered 3 lowers at once)
J&T A2 kit     - $468.96 with shipping.

Grand total - $566.29

I might do the next one with different parts, maybe a Model 1 upper and a lower kit from Legal Transfers.  It would be a little cheaper, but $566 for a complete rifle is nothing to complain about.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the upper and lower cast or forged?TIA 927
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Mega lowers are forged, I'm not sure anyone is making a cast upper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top