Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2003 10:10:48 AM EDT
Hello.

I have some questions about completing a 80% lower receiver.

-How about fitting the top-plane ? (especially with the Tannery shop lower)

-Does any jig help the drilling of the pivot pin assembly, the trigger guard, the different pistol grip assembly holes and the takedown pin ?

-Which drill bits are needed for these holes ?

Thanks ! Thanks !
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=148435]BIY lower build sites[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I am currently working on an 80% Tannery lower...

I have the OSI Super Jig (thanks again TangoChaser)...  

There is quite a bit of filing/milling to be done to fit various areas together before you ever get to drill/ream a hole in the lower.  

IM me or ask specifics.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I did so much filing on my NOC lowers I felt like a secretary.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello.

I have some questions about completing a 80% lower receiver.

-How about fitting the top-plane ? (especially with the Tannery shop lower)

-Does any jig help the drilling of the pivot pin assembly, the trigger guard, the different pistol grip assembly holes and the takedown pin ?

-Which drill bits are needed for these holes ?

Thanks ! Thanks !
View Quote

Its best to do it on a mill.  Locate, drill and ream all holes.  The use a end mill or fly cutter to take the top deck to 0.250 above the cl of the takedown holes.  

On the last question, ream the holes to final size after drilling undersize.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Some answers to your questions....

1. YES all my Tannery "cast" lower projects required MUCH hand fitting to get the top plane into spec...be sure the top plane is in spec BEFORE you do any cross drilling!

2. YES definetly use a fixture to drill the pivot/firecontrol holes and such..I recomend the jig from
HCMP, it has provision for the extra pilot holes for the lower trigger guard and detent.
www.hicapmagparts.com

3. IMO, use only high quality US-made Colbat drill bits. make sre to center punch first to prevent your bits from drifting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
check out footpounds.com for a compilation of links to 80% receiver manufacturers, tooling, "how to build," etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
i milled my top plane for a perfect fit, then located the front pivot hole, all other holes were indexed off the front hole on the milling machine, it went very quickly, the lower worked good, and is still in the closet, it will stay there, the cating is a cheap and very porous one i really do not trust it too much, i would like to get an 80% lower forging with the magwell already edm, or broached

but the price is too high, i will buy complete lowers
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Howabout this one?
Fixture
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks GTG
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top