Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 11:53:14 AM EDT
I am getting ready to re-install my front sight base(bushy 16" lightweight), the taper pins were a b***h to get out(they were removed from shooter's left to right). Any tips for easy installation? Will putting pins or barrel in deep freezer help? All tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some Kroil, or penetrating oil on them.  The only sight base pins I've ever had to deal with are the ones in my Model 1 kit, and they're not taper.  

Also, use a big enough Ford wrench for the job [:D]...4 or 5 good whacks is probably better than 15 or 20 mediocre ones, for the punch and the pins.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Its no big deal really.  I've only done it one time but didn't use any lubricant (i don't want them puppies coming out)or freezer.  First of all you're not supposed to reuse the pins but use new ones.  Also i bought a taper pin punch from brownells which has a concave end to prevent mushrooming the pins.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top