Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2003 3:11:34 PM EDT
Ran across a great deal on a 1 in 12 twist A1 profile 20in barrel. Planning to put it on a Bushy A2 upper. I really like the light weight. Any positive or negative comments on this idea?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll love the A1 profile, it makes the AR what it was supposed to be... light and fast.  I've had all my HBAR's turned down to a LW/A1 profile by Kurt at KKF...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite choice for a barrel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick to 55grn & lighter bullets & you're good to go.  My AR project is going to wear one of these barrels also.  

A A1 profile barrel with 1 in 9 or 1 in 7 rifling might be better if you plan on ever shooting heavier bullets.  But in order to get one you pretty much have to turn down a HBAR.  

A1 barrel on a A2 upper?[>:/]    To each his own, just doesn't seem right to me, but I like the A1 upper better (lighter weight, more fiddle proof).  I also like the old school triangle handguards, A1 lenghth stock & grip, 20rnd mags....[8P]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My SHTF rifle wears a 20" 1/12 SP1 barrel mounted to an A2 upper (Colt Sporter).

It feels as light as and quick handling as an M4 carbine w/optics.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I just had the A2 upper in my parts box, so it was an inexpensive way to go. I ordered a MEGA lower for this to also keep the price down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt did make a batch of A1 profile barrels with a 1 in 9 twist a few years back. If you're bound and determined to use the heavier bullets you might keep an eye out for one. Otherwise, the 1 in 12 original does just fine. Have two of 'em and don't feel at all handicapped[:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for this post, good info. This is the next project that I am planning. I see that Fulton Armory offers a Medium weight 1x12 in addition to standard profile A1 barrel. No meaning to hijack thread, but has anyone seen/tried one of them. Got a spare barrel you would lkke to part with reasonably?

Thanks...

MM419
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#8]
If your looking I have a light barreled upper. Slabside small hole receiver with a Bushmaster 1/9 twist A2 contour barrel that's been turned to A1 profile and refinished. It's also got a fake threeprong attached and the lugs been removed to be postban legal. Straight delta ring and triangular handguards. Great for an early M16 copy but with a better twist rate. It's for sale cheap, $275 complete and shipped. Give me an Email if anyones interested
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top