Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 1:29:09 PM EDT
Ok, so I'm ignorant! I've been reading all the posts on installing a barrel and have a good idea on how to do it. I do have some questions though. I've noticed there are two type of vise jigs available, one that holds the barrel and one that holds the upper. I'll be installing a Heavy stainless  match barrel from RRA. Which would be best suited for this install? My second question involves the actual install of the barrel. Since this is a match barrel and will sport an Armalite Float Tube, I assume (hopefully correct)that there will be no "D" ring, springs, etc to concern myself with. Having never seen the barrel but looking at the Armalite tube, it appears to me that the barrel nut has outside threads. This I assume would be to mount the float tube ring. Once this is mounted I guess the rest of the float tube will screw onto the tube ring and from there, adjusted so the swivel stud is located correctly and plumb. Let me know if I have the rite idea or totally out in left field. By the way, I'll also be removing the current barrel & float tube (Armalite M15A4(T) cabine) from the upper. Any pitfalls to watch for there? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just be carefull with the barrel indexing pin its softer steel and can be damaged,its the little piece of steel that guides the barrel into the receiver,I have no experience with match barrels but I assume the pin is on that one to.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Use the vise block that holds the upper. The upper is what the barrel nut is screwed directly to. Using a barrel hold while turning the nut puts all the pressure on the alignment pin and the slot in the reciever.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
AHHHHHHHH! OK now I see! Makes sense. How does the rest of my "thoughts" on building a match upper sound? Out in left field? Thanks again for info! By the way, how hard is itto remove a match barrel (Armalite M15A4(T) carbine?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
take my word for it: you DON'T want to put on /take off a barrel without the receiver block...bad things can happen!  Ask me how I know [:(!]

Progun, I a recent bad experience trying to do just that with an Armalite upper.  The after math is that I got the new receiver, and everything will be back from compass lake next week.  

Once I got the receiver block, the barrel nut came loose without too much trouble.  Try a little Kroil on it before you try to brake it loose, and put some grease on the threads when you put it on, it'll make it easier to get it off should the need arise in the future.  

I don't know what the armalite tube looks like, but must of them have their own barrel nut, separately like the Hogue, or built in to the tube itself.  The armorer's wrench has a couple of pins sticking out of the back side for float tube install/removal.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Understand. I'm gonna get one of the receiver blocks from my dealer friend. He's got one that will fit the flat top upper. He's a semi gunsmith (actually a retired Army armorer) who will help me. He has all the tools needed for the project. Yes the Armalite tubes are like the hogue so I'll be using a strap wrench to loosen/remove the tube. I'll have to loosen the gas block before I can slide the tube off (the carbine has that pain in the butt muzzle break on it). Once I get that done and the gas tub off, everything should go ok. The barrel I hae is a lothar-walther 22" which is the same contour as the (T) model Armalite. Well, thanks for the info and I'll post here to let ya know the progress. Thanks for al the help.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Progun, I talked to someone at Armalite last week...she *thought* the muzzle brakes were soldered on.  I finally deciced to have mine cut off, and have the barrel recrowned...that's why I sent it off to Compass Lake.  

I've spoken to them a couple of times, and they say it's not always that easy getting the soldered on brakes to come loose.  They see a lot more of them than I do, so I decided to defer to their judgement.  

Do keep us posted...the Walther barrels are supposed to be the sh** in terms of accuracy, so I'd like to know how you like it.  Good Luck!  
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Progun the best advice is to not do this when you are tired, make sure you are rested and no one is bothering you. Take your time and if you get into a snag stop and post a question.

It will be faster then making a mistake and having to order new parts.

To answer your question, after removing the old delta assembly the new tube will not need any of those parts that you removed.

Good luck and remember the only stupid question is the one you did not ask.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top