Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 1:37:20 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm trying to remove the receiver extension (tube) from my pre-ban Colt Sporter so I can put on a telescoping stock.  Unfortunately, this thing is really, really tight.

Is there a trick to getting it off?  I know to use a wrench on the end, but it's not budging.

http://www.911products.org/MWR/tube.jpg
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=163662[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I read the prior thread on this topic.  I am not happy about it, but I suppose I can live with it knowing I am not the only person who has had this problem with a Colt Sporter H-Bar.

Now, can anyone answer my second question?  I already see that I might be destroying the Colt receiver extension tube as there are parts of the end cap that are starting to strip from so much torque applied with my wrench.

In the event I ever want to switch back to a regular stock, does anyone know if a Bushmaster or other aftermarket receiver extension tube will fit?  I want to buy one and sock one away in the event I ever want to swap back.

Thanks....
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, pretty much anyone's extension tube will fit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the help.  It was a real pain, but I finally got it off.

I had to heat the tube with a propane torch, then I had to flatten the extension tube a bit so that a pipewrench could get a good grip and finally, it "popped" loose.

I will order a new extension tube from Bushmaster in the morning, and put it away for a rainy day in case I ever want to change back to a solid stock.

Colt Sporter owners take note.... This is a *real PITA.*

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top