Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 3:44:22 PM EDT
Is the gas port positioned differently (i.e. closer to the receiver) on an M4 barrel compared to a 16" CAR? Are there only two common gas tube lengths?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No and No. The CAR/M4 is the same gas tube.There is the rifle and CAR/M4, but I don't know if the new "mid-length" barrels will have a different length tube or just a hidden gas block like the Dissapator. Then there is the really short one for the 7"-8" barrels.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted by Corwin1968 because now he's totally confused (again!!) and thinking the information he posted may not have been accurate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm brand new here but I've been looking at the mid-length guard and I've discovered (and had confirmed by AR-15.com posters) that the mid-length guard requires a longer gas tube and an upper built to fit it.  So I guess that means there are at least four lengths of gas tube for the AR-15
View Quote

Where do you get four?  I count three.

After experimenting for years with unreliable 10.5" to 11.5" shorties, the military figured out that the critical dimension of the barrel was the length from the gas port to the muzzle.  When you take a CAR barrel and extend the front end to standard length, you get 14.5".  So there are two standard lengths of gas tubes, one for the 20" and one for carbines.

The so-called "mid-length" is made by lengthening the section before the gas port (along with the handguards) so the barrel comes out to 16".  But it's really kind of a funky solution as far as I'm concerned.  My favorite configuration is a standard 14.5" M4 barrel with a KKF flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is it a funky solution?  14.5 inch barrel properly goes with carbine and M4 handguard gas system.  Rifle handguards witha 20 inch barrel/gas system.  We wouldn't even have 16 inch barrels if not for NFA.  Midlength puts the gas block at the proper distance from the muzzle, but longer sight radius, and the barrel looks less unprotected.  Pull it looks more like someone shrunk a 20 inch barrel, instead of streched an M4.  BALANCED LOOKS!  I'm going to get one, as soon as the ban goes away and they come out with one in chrome with 1 in 7 twist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is it a funky solution?  14.5 inch barrel properly goes with carbine and M4 handguard gas system.  Rifle handguards witha 20 inch barrel/gas system.  We wouldn't even have 16 inch barrels if not for NFA.  Midlength puts the gas block at the proper distance from the muzzle, but longer sight radius, and the barrel looks less unprotected.  Pull it looks more like someone shrunk a 20 inch barrel, instead of streched an M4.  BALANCED LOOKS
View Quote

Actually, I didn't mean funky in a bad way - I probably should've said "unique" because I agree with you.  It's definitely an interesting  solution lengthening the center section rather than just tacking on some extra tube at the muzzle which always looked weird to me.

I've personally never built an AR with a mid-length barrel, but I think I'm gonna have to give it a try and see how it shoots.

I'm going to get one, as soon as the ban goes away and they come out with one in chrome with 1 in 7 twist.
View Quote

Definitely wait for the chrome!!

[Edited to ficks speling misteaks.]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top