Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 1:37:12 PM EDT
I headed out to the range today with my Model 1 kit build.  Eagle lower with the Model 1 16" CAR kit.  I swapped the LE lower I ordered with A2 for the range trip, but other than that, it was just like I got it from Model 1.

I put 10 rounds downrange, cleaning after each shot, then 10 more cleaning after each 2.  After that, I did 5 and clean for 20 rounds, then said to hell with it and started shooting lol...after all, I didn't get this to be a match rifle.

I used my DMPS 10 round mag the whole time...brought an Orlite in case there were problems, but there weren't.  It worked perfectly for the 100 or so rounds I shot through it.  Brass ejection is not as robust as my other rifles, but it's not bad enough to warrant going to a defender in the extractor.  Basically, it throws them gently about 4 feet out at a 45 degree angle to the front.    

I shot a good number of 1" groups, with some around 1 1/4".  I was using my 55 gr. Ballistic Tip/A2230 combo, but I'm beginning to think the 16" barrels want a different load...this round seems to work ok in everything, but not great in anything.  I also shot about 30 rounds of hand rolled FMJ, just to see how it did.  Groups not great, but it cycled fine.  My bolt .223 loved the FMJ round, I shot my best group of the day with it...which I can't believe.  

All in all, this rifle did everythig I hoped it would, and ran flawlessly.  For the $525 I got in it, I'm quite happy with the performance.  The whole Model 1 experience was satisfactory, after I talked to them about the backordered lightweight barrels.  Once I changed my order, I had the kit in 3 business days.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top