Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2003 2:06:13 PM EDT
I am putting an AR together and I need some advice on what kind and where to get a complete bolt/carrier assembly. I have looked at the Tin coated carriers/bolts but do they offer any advantages over a chrome lined carrier?  I have heard the full circle carriers are better. Also what is an updated "DPMS M4" carrier? Also I am looking for a good forged or billet charging handle.
      Thanks,
             Mantra
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster...  

[url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/8448501-s.asp[/url]

The titanium coatings are a solution in search of a problem, I personally wouldn't waste the money on one.  Stick with the milspec chrome lined bolt carrier...

Some info on titanium coated and hard chrome vs. milspec bolt/bolt carriers here:

[url]groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/theseriousar.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You may what to rethink using Bushmaster.  I order a bolt/carrier assembly three weeks ago.  Still waiting.

I call once a week to check status.  Their reason is that "the guy that machines the carrier was in an accenident.  And, they are having to catch-up for the downtime."  WHAT !!!!  A big company like bushmaster has only a single supplier of carriers ?!?! And, this single supplier is some guy.  SCAREY !!!!!  One guy having an accenident can stop Bushmaster's assembly line. [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link and the info.
                                Mantra
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
G35, thanks for the info... I've never waited more than a few days for delivery in the past, but it appears that nothing good ever lasts...  You're correct, a single source for machining/finishing on any component can spell trouble for a company that ships as many rifles and parts as Bushmaster does...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would reccomend contacting "Pete in NH".  You can reach him at his business "Legal Transfers".  He is listed in the Industry Forum here on ar15.com.  From what I understand he has a type of "enhanced" carrier assembly from Rock River Arms.  Give him a call, he is an excellent person to do business with and he is very knowlegeble of ar15 products!
(Edited to add) I believe it is a parkerized and chrome lined carrier, but stronger due to less metal removed in manufacture.
HarryD
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If your question is regarding who makes the highest quality, best designed, closest tolerance bolt & carrier assemblies then the answer is Young Manufacturing.  Young's "National Match" carriers are a proprietary (patented) design that employs additional longitudinal rails that better stabilize the carrier and reduce wear on the inside of the upper receiver by spreading out the loads over a larger area.  They are available only in hard chrome finish.  Their machined outside diameter across the bearing surfaces is about 0.005 larger in diameter than most "sloppy" carriers made by everyone else.  This really keeps the carrier / bolt assembly concentric with the bore of the upper.

Additionally, the Young carrier uses the M16-style shrouded hammer ramp.  This reduces unnecessary war and tear on your firing pin collar.

The Young carriers accept all standard bolts.

The Young carriers are available from Brownell's, Metalcraft, and Les Baer.  The carrier sold by Les Baer is marked "Les Baer Custom" but it's made by Young.

Check these sites:

[url]http://www.metalcraft-ar15.com/bolts.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223b.html[/url]
[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/StoreHome.aspx[/url]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with what Russ4777 stated above about the Les Baer, formerly Young's, carriers. You can order direct from LBC at $113.00, just the carrier. You cannot go wrong with a Colt's, Bushmaster, DPMS, or RRA carrier if you are looking for a regular carrier. Personally, I use the LBC carriers and Colt's bolts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree with what Russ4777 stated above about the Les Baer, formerly Young's, carriers. You can order direct from LBC at $113.00, just the carrier. You cannot go wrong with a Colt's, Bushmaster, DPMS, or RRA carrier if you are looking for a regular carrier. Personally, I use the LBC carriers and Colt's bolts.
View Quote

Above is good advice IMO!  I would go with COLT or LesBaer.  Forget the others[:)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input, this was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I did not even know the Baer/Young carriers existed. They really look to be a quality piece. I think I will be going with the Baer carrier and a Colt bolt. Thanks again,
                             Mantra
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go to e-bay and type in AR-15 DPMS Bolt you can find them for 108.00 and you will get it in a few days. Mine works great
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not try good old Olympic Arms?  You can talk to Skip Fletcher, he works the domestic sales side of the house and would probably be able to help you out quit well.  He is the guy I go to almost weekly for parts and advice.  The good thing I find with Skip is that he used to build the rifles instead of just being a front counter person with no real "hands on" expertise.  If he can't help you then he will probably point you in a good direction.  
Scorpion34 OUT!

http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
{SE}   Smith Enterprise also makes nice carriers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top