Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 2:39:19 PM EDT
I am really considering building a singleshot .50 cal for myself.  To do it legally what do I need to do or what forms do I register with.  If there is a site about this could you direct me there.  Thanks for all of the help.  Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
there is a link to building a 50 BMG on roderus custom gun works it is a project in the making but looks good so far hope this helps

DOC
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
There are no forms or registration required for home-built, personal use firearms at the Federal level. There may be requirements as far as your state is concerned.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Neilfj is right.
Here is the federal info:
From [url=http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qanda.htm] ATF Questions and Answers[/url]
A7 Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o),(r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]
View Quote

Here is a link to the [url=http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/pIch44.html] US Code (18 USC 921, et. al.[/url] from the above ATF quote.

You can check your state laws by calling your state district attorneys office and asking for the attorney in charge of firearms issues.  

Cheers, Otto
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top