Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 6:46:17 AM EDT
Ok guys I think I have decided to build my first ar, I am not sure what brand is the best or anything like that. I need to stay under 600 so i can have the left over money for ammo and mags. And what do you exactly need to buil one of these. I really need all the help I can get.

Thanks
     Justin
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
justinwb, if you do a search on "build", I'm sure you'll find this question answered in great detail within the last 30 days.  The cheapest way to go, if you don't have any of the tools commonly used to build ARs, would be to buy a complete lower for $225 or so, and a complete RRA upper for $370ish.  This keeps you within your budget, and all you have to do is put the two halves together, push in the 2 pins, and go shooting.  

If you DO want to build, you still want to get a kit with a full upper; you don't really want to have to build the upper, since you'd have to put the barrel on, which, if done by the book, requires a torque wrench, and an amorer's wrench...the cost of those items, if you don't already have them, will bust your budget.  You can get kits from Model 1, M&A, or J&T from between $400 and $500, depending on options.  You'll need a lower parts kit IF you don't buy a full kit; you'll also need the buffer/tube and buttstock assembly IF you don't buy the full kit.  

If you want a standard A2 lower, it's really cheaper just to buy it, depending on what your local FFL charges for transfers.  Depending on where you are, you *may* be able to get full lowers at local gun shows, that way you wont have to pay the FFL.  

Here are typical prices:
stripped lower  $100-130 plus FFL
lower parts kit: $55
buttstock/buffer assmbly $60

see, you really don't save any money by building the lower; I don't know what the advantages are to doing that other than being able to get the components individually over a period of time, so that you don't have to part with the $$$ all at once.  A Mega lower is $89 shipped, but that pesky FFL will add at least $20 to that, unless you can get it in person.  

Most kits come with the upper assembled, and you just have to build the lower.  I just put together a lower minus the buffer tube with a brass hammer and a plastic punch, but I might have gotten lucky.  Typically, you'll need roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches.  Oh, do yourself a favor and at least order the front pivot pin detent tool...it'll save you lots of trouble hehehe.  

Buying a full kit and a stripped lower is the least expensive route; the cheapest Model 1 kit is $400 plus shipping, and a stripped lower is as low as $89 plus shipping and FFL, so your total out of pocket is less than $550 for that, assuming you don't need $40 worth of tools to put it together.  The same kit from J&T is about $50 more, but their quality is reportedly better than the Model 1 stuff.  

Or, you could just call Atlantic Arms...the have various versions of ARs using CAV Arms lowers and DPMS uppers on sale for $599.  

Well, that should get you started...good luck, and once you get your first one, you may as well kiss ALL your spare $$ goodbye lol.  In 6 months, you'll know EXACTLY what I'm taling about [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Fenian speaks the truth, his prices are right on.  I built a lower starting out with a stripped Eagle lower and a J&T parts kit.  Got the Eagle lower at a gun show and it is NICE.
Shipping cost and FFL fees will eat up most of the savings over getting a built up lower, I just wanted to see how it is done this time. I used existing hand tools but did buy a set of 4 roll pin punches from Midway for $12.

Like Fenian suggests, your quest for "enough 20 and 30 round USGI magazines" and a "decent stockpile of ammo", will take care of what you used to concider 'extra cash'.   Welcome to our addiction!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get complete standard a2 lowers from ADCO for only 211 plus only 4 shipping.  

He was right about the uppers.  Generally 350 on up, depending on what you want.  ADCO is what I would reccommend though.  Flat 4 dollar shipping and great customer service.

You can buy a complete upper and complete lower from adco and have your $600 rifle easy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can get complete standard a2 lowers from ADCO for only 211 plus only 4 shipping.  

He was right about the uppers.  Generally 350 on up, depending on what you want.  ADCO is what I would reccommend though.  Flat 4 dollar shipping and great customer service.

You can buy a complete upper and complete lower from adco and have your $600 rifle easy.
View Quote

Adco was my first choice and I think I will stick with them! Is RRA quality any good!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
ADCO got me my upper receiver in 3 days...I ordered online Sunday night, and got it today.  Plus ya gotta love that $4 shipping on everything.  I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting a bunch of stuff from them.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Also check out STINGER AND MEGA lowers.  I recieved my Stinger lower assembled (except for the stock) and shipped for $155.  Have nothing but good things from these lowers.    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
i built on an eagle arms lower from quantico for 106 shipped,(i could have just driven the hour and a half to get it but i would have spent more than six bucks on gas and lunch.)
i only paid 10 bucks for xfer since i have practically put my gun dealers kids through college.  i got a lower parts kit from j&t for i think 60 shipped.  and i got an ACE stock kit w/ buffer and tube from jdtactical for 130 shipped (ebay).  and yesterday i ordered an RRA midlength a4 upper, arms #40, surefire G2, and a sling all for 508 shipped.  i also got a fobus g27 and some green followers for 36 shipped from lippman on the EE.  then theres mags and ammo- 1000rds of LC from sportsmansguide for 170, about 500rds of the winchester 55gr stuff from wally world for bout 100,  500 rounds of ingman from SGG also=99, 300rds wolf= 27,  ten usgi mags from variuos places say at an average of 17 bucks a piece=170

OK so heres the numbers:
+ 170
-------
$1,460.00[shock]

MAN!! that was the first time ive ever done that!!  shit!! i hope my wife dosnt read this!

well i wanted to tell you that i did mine on a budget too, but nevermind.

oh, i forgot that i got a set of punches and a hammer for i think 13$ also SSG.  as far as the build went it was pretty easy and i had a great time.   now im building a FAL and next is a 1911.  (no way am i gonna total the cost out ever again!)

**moral of the story= if you had fun doing it, then it was worth every penny.**
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Rock River is great quality.  I received my upper from ADCO less than 48 HOURS after I ordered it!  FOR FOUR DOLLARS SHIPPING!  The trick might be finding something they have in stock...  But who can blame them when they have such good deals and service?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top