Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 2:24:25 PM EDT
i was wondering. what can be done with delrin? i found it on ebay for cheap and i saw the specs for it and was amazed. what parts could i make from this material? here, let me put up the specs.

Black Delrin (Acetal) Sheet

UL Rating: UL 94HB
Material: Acetal
Acetal Material: Delrin
Form: Sheets
Length x Width: Approximately 10" x 16"
Thickness: .5"
Color: Black
Performance Characteristic: High Tensile Strength and Flame Retardant
Tensile Strength: 10,000 psi
Impact Strength: 2.3 ft.-lbs./in.
Specifications Met: Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Ratings
Hardness: Rockwell M: 94

well if you guys have any ideas.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W uses this material to make their semi-auto pistol grips.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not up on strengths required, but you reminded me of a cool project that was made a while back..

[url]http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove1765/project6/project6.html[/url]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove1765/project6/frxvr.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Delrin II is about the best stuff I could find. As soon as I can find a piece of 1 3/4 thick I'll be making me a lower. That stuff costs about 100.00 for a piece large enough to make a lower.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i had actually started on that and had only completed 6 parts of 11 before my access to the machines were cut off. i got the delrin from ebay and was really cheap. i want to complete the project but im not savy to the laws. i would rather buy the rest of the peices and be done with it. all i would need is 5 more peices to complete the project. but that aside i think that i can get my first 6 peices redone in delrin since those were the easiest ones to complete. i'll take pics of both original cr steel and delrin and post em up once im done
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
where did you find delrin II from?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A few words about Delrin...

It goes squish when you clamp it. That said you need to be carefull how much pressure is applied by the vise because while everything may appear perfect while in the vice, once removed you may find that your holes are over/undersized, out of round or tapered.

Not enough pressure and certain types of drills will pull the part right out of the vise.

Delrin resists most petrol based solvents and oils but IIRC is attacked by items containing clorine.

It is available in different colors but black (dyed) or white (natural) are by far the most common.

Nylon66 might be a better choice - Cav Arms uses Nylon. - Either way - I would be sure to keep the rear area where the receiver is threaded for the receiver extension (buffer tube) thick as practical (wall) to provide as much support for the stock as possible. - That is a 1 3/16" - 18 thread, and the best way to cut it is thread milling, but in a pinch a tap (expensive) will sufice.

[size=1]Can you tell I've done this before...?[/size=1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
where did you find delrin II from?
View Quote

[url]www.polymerplastics.com/mechanical_delrin2a.shtml[/url]

Looks like good stuff to me. I've made a ton of machined parts from delrin but have never worked with Delrin2.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Cav Arms injection molds their plastic.  Delrin is usually chosen for its excellent machining characteristics.  It is self lubricating and will not melt and gum up the works.

BUT, in my work I use a number of machined Delrin products.  While it is good for what it does, I just don't think it will hold up to our needs for the AR15.  It is just too soft.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top