Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 1:49:34 PM EDT
I just rebarreled an upper with a 6X45mm barrel (preban--threaded) and I will be adding a threaded comp to the muzzle.
I have a number of different styles of compensators, and after checking the inside diameters (all were designed for 5.56/.223 rem) I find i.d.'s to be .255" - .275".
Is there a critical clearance spec for a bullet to pass through a compensator & have it still be effective (I know too big isn't going to work)?  The .243" bullet clears all of my comps easily by hand, but I was told there is a critical spec to follow.  Advise anyone?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went through all this with a friend doing the same, using a Cav Comp for 6mm.

Using the .255" with a .224" dia bullet as a minimum guideline, that is .255"-.224" = .031".  On the large end, .275" - .224" = .051".

So, let's take .243" and add .031", which is .271".  .243" + .051" = .294".  That gives you a range of .271"-.294" to consider with a .243" bullet.

To keep a similar clearance, you can drill the hole with a 9/32" bit, which is .28125".
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I can just duplicate the clearance in a .224 designed comp to be safe, but I was wondering if there was an "ideal" clearance that would give the most effective "braking".
I checked in some 'smith catalogs & most brands of "universal" muzzle brakes call for either .020" or .040" clearance.  That is a huge difference in brakes that are very similar in design!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top