Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 12:15:10 PM EDT
I am having an AOW built right now...I am trying to do some research on whether it is legal to have a flash hider on an AOW AR.

My Class III Man here says you cant, but I have heard otherwose from other sources.

I could really use a hider on the 7.5 inch barrel, so it is worth me looking into.

Anybody know the laws pertaining to this, or where I could look?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It always scares me when people who should know better, don't.

Your "Class III Man" is wrong. You can have all the evil features you likle on your AOW, as long as it actually qualifies as an AOW. The FH ban applies only to "assault weapons" and you are having built something, which by legal definition, isn't an "assault weapon."

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen letters on the net from ATF, forget the site that it was on, but AOW is not an AW.  So you can have anything on it as long as it doesnt have a stock.  Also just to confirm what I want to do, I'm building one too, I have sent a letter to the ATF asking if building the weapon list below is ok as an AOW.

Bushmaster stripped lower
Bushmaster lower kit
Bushmaster Pre-Ban 11.5 Upper W/FS and Bayonet Lug
Bushmaster BMAS mount
Bushmaster Folding Front Vertical Grip
Model 1 Sales Pistol Buffer assembly

It should be allow as an AOW since there is no stock and the front grip will require tools to remove it.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My sticky predicament...

It also bugs me when the "experts" dont know what they are about.

I thought I could have one.  My sticky predicament comes from this...I dont want to piss the guy off, as he is assembling my baby.

I wonder how I could approach this...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Found the link
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter78.txt

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
THANKS!!!!!!!

Thats exactly what I need.

:)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a pcitire of an AOW recently made.

It has a threaded barrel and the 7.5" version has a bayo lug on it...

[image]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/images/TBP/mvc00013.jpg[/image]

[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/TBP/aow.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It should be allow as an AOW since there is no stock and the front grip will require tools to remove it.
View Quote

The law says "PERMANENT"  That has been defined to be 1100 degree silver solder for muzzle brakes on threaded postban barrels.  Also blind pinning has been acceptable.  Look at collapsable fixed stock that use epoxy, 1-3 pins, usually one blind pinned.

Make sure you and your "C2" know the laws and do not get yourself in trouble.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The law says "PERMANENT"  That has been defined to be 1100 degree silver solder for muzzle brakes on threaded postban barrels.  Also blind pinning has been acceptable.  Look at collapsable fixed stock that use epoxy, 1-3 pins, usually one blind pinned.

Make sure you and your "C2" know the laws and do not get yourself in trouble.
View Quote

Since I have seen it both ways of "permanent" and "requires tools" I sent a letter to the ATF asking about this.  I will post the reply letter when i get it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it have to have 2 vertical grips?

I read it to be if it was designed to be fired with 2 hands (as in too damn heavy to be a pistol) and no stock its an aow.

The grip on the barrel is enough, isnt it?

jus wundrin before I gets inta sum truble!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since I have seen it both ways of "permanent" and "requires tools" I sent a letter to the ATF asking about this.  I will post the reply letter when i get it.
View Quote

I have never seen "requires tools" and would be interested in pointers to said documents...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont remember the sight I saw "Require Tools", Sorry.  I will let you know what he ATF says in there reply.  If they say it has to be permanent then that still not a problem.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top